Port Forwarding Errors and unable to use WHS Console or Remote Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have recently purchased an Acer Aspire EasyStore H340 with 1TB in storage. I had successfully configured it and had it working on my network. I setup the share folders on my Vista laptop and also configured the personal website functionality on the server. But since the past 2 days I have been receiving some errors that I don't understand the reason for. First details about my router and server specs

The following are the details of my network,
    Wireless Router: D-Link DI 524
    DHCP: Performed by the router
    Broadband provider: Cablevision(Optimum Online)
    Devices connected: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Vista Laptop

Server Specs

Processor
    CPU Type     Intel Atom Processor 230 1.6Ghz

Mainboard
    Chipset     Intel 945GC Express Chipset + ICH7R

Memory
    Installed Memory Size     2GB
    Memory Type     DDR2 667

Storage
    Hard Drive (Installed)     1TB

Networking
    Ethernet Controller     Gigabit Ethernet

Since the past 2 days I have been receiving errors about Port Forwarding not working on my router and I am unable to access the server either through the Windows Home Server Console or Remote Desktop. It looks like I have been completely locked out of the server, I am able to access the shared drives but even those are taking quite sometime to connect and view the files.

I get the following errors pop up when I try to use the Console, "Unable to connect to the remote server, if you have restarted please try after sometime. When I use the remote desktop, it just sits there waiting for a connection. I have made sure that the server has a reserved IP address of 192.168.0.103, and when I ping the server I get the same address back. I have put the IP address for the server in my routers DMZ settings as well.

Even my website at <server>.homeserver.com is not working both internally as well as externally. When I type the address into a browser, it says Connecting to <server>.... and then Waiting for <server>.... the page doesn't load and I can't log into the server.

I have the F-Secure antivirus addin and the Whiist addin installed on this server. Other than that it is in the same configuration that I received it in.

I am at my wit's end with this, I don't know what the issue is in the first place. I am not sure if any update the WHS server broke it or is it something that I did. I am unable to view my backups or administer and create new users. I don't want to reinstall the OS since I am not sure if the data I have on the server will survive a reinstall. I have a lot of valuable data backed up the server which I would hate to lose.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Monday, September 14, 2009 7:58 PM

All replies

• Can you get a Remote Desktop connection, if you try to use the ip address instead of the name?
    Also the server could hang - did you try to reboot it?) or have changed the IP address (there may be different reasons for this, like another DHCP server intercepting), but since your ping returns something, this is not obvious.
    How exactly did you reserve that address?

What is the result of the command
    nbtstat -A 192.168.0.103?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, September 14, 2009 9:09 PM
  • Hi Olaf,
    I cannot get a Remote Desktop connection even with an IP. I don't think the server is hung either, because I am getting notifications from the Console about port forwarding errors and most recently that the Anti Virus software on there is expiring. So I am assuming that the server is working fine. As I said I am able to access the Shared folder as well, albeit, the response is much slower than what it used to be.
    As for reserving the IP, on my router for the MAC address of the server I have reserved that IP. I can go home and try the nbstat command out, I will let you know what I get.
    Thanks.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:30 PM