Supported Routers RRS feed

• Question

• Where can I find a list of supported routers for Windows Home Server?
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 11:42 PM

Answers

• Any router that permits you to implement port forwarding rules is supported in a limited fashion. You will need to manually configure the appropriate rules in that case, and (normally) configure your server's IP address manually. For full support you will need a router which supports UPnP configuration. This is very "hit and miss" as many router manufacturers will claim a router supports this, when it really only supports a subset.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 1:56 AM

All replies

• Any router that permits you to implement port forwarding rules is supported in a limited fashion. You will need to manually configure the appropriate rules in that case, and (normally) configure your server's IP address manually. For full support you will need a router which supports UPnP configuration. This is very "hit and miss" as many router manufacturers will claim a router supports this, when it really only supports a subset.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 1:56 AM
  • ... and even if UPnP configuration is supported, I prefer to have this function disabled in the router to avoid an unnecessary security hole.
    Imagine a website with malware scripting your router to forward ports from the Internet to your home PC, which should not be forwarded.
    Sure there are still other lines of defense in many cases, but these rely on the PC themself.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 9:42 AM
  • thank you sir, your answer is great
    Sunday, September 25, 2016 10:02 PM