System Jobs Broken Following Migration from 3.0 to 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• When my company migrated from CRM 3 to 4 they used the Migration Tool.

Unfortunately approximately half of the system jobs and now switched to 'waiting' and cannot be started including all of the 'Update Contract States" and any user made imports.

THe SQM data collection jobs are working fine however.

When I checked the error logs there are lots of 400 and 401 permission errors.

I have tried fixes like this one- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947423/

I've read about similar erros caused by a different port being used but we still use the same port as the original so its not an issue with that- is there something else that could cause this?

Friday, October 10, 2008 9:45 AM

Answers

• The srs data connector is used by CRM 4.0 to get around Kerberos security "double hop" issues.  the installation files for the connector are in the CRM 4.0 installation media--there is a folder called srs data connector.

I would recommend that you open a support case with microsoft on the system job issue.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:41 AM

All replies

• Is your asynchoris service running?  Try restarting the service.  Also, can  you stop the system jobs that are waiting and then check to see if future jobs run.  I had some issues with the Contract States job because it was trying to run during a time in the evening that we were running SQL backups.

Check out this link:

How to resolve common problems that may occur when you upgrade from Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 to Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947061

Friday, October 10, 2008 1:30 PM
  •  

I have restarted the service but it hasn't fixed the problem, the issue is also not related to the backup as we weren't backing it up or a while and it made no difference.

I've just spoken to my colleague and he says that i wasn't upgraded as such, rather the data from CRM 3.0 was exported in excel and then a fresh install of CRM 4.0 was installed and the data imported again with the Data migration tool.

It seams strange that all of the failures are due to 400 and 401 errors, almost like it doesn't have permission to access some part of the system...

Friday, October 10, 2008 2:51 PM
  • When you say the data was imported due mean the actual record data from the CRM 3 SQL database?  How did you handle customizations from your 3.0 to 4.0 environment.  It doesn't sound like you took a supported path for your transition from 3.0 to 4.0 but I could be wrong.  If it is not an issue, you may want to try upgrading your 3.0 implementation according to the implementation guidelines.  Otherwise you can open a ticket with Microsoft support if the previous link I provided doesn't give any insight or direction.

Friday, October 10, 2008 3:04 PM
  •  

The customizeations were recreated by hand. We hadn't really used CRM much before the move so it wasn't an issue.
    Friday, October 10, 2008 4:27 PM
  • I am not sure if this is the issue, but there are certain data field requirements in CRM 4 that were not in CRM 3 associated with Contracts, Products, etc.  If you installed CRM 4 and then migrated data, it could be an issue.  The supported path is to go through the upgrade process with CRM 3 by selecting an existing database. 

1. Were you able to glean anything from this Web site?
      1. How to resolve common problems that may occur when you upgrade from Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 to Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947061 
    2. Are you able to stop the System Jobs and then do future jobs run.
      1. If you are able to stop the System Jobs then do that, watch the System Jobs and see if future jobs run
    Friday, October 10, 2008 5:31 PM
  • I had a look though the website you provided, I think most of the issues there revolve around the upgrade process and workflows and I'm starting to think that this error has less to with the migration and more to do with CRM 4 not functioning properly.

The actual 'upgrade' process consisted of exporting the data from CRM 3 into excel spreadsheets, minus any other data but the actual visible fields. Then the data was imported back into a clean install of CRM 4.

Never-the-less I attempted to stop several of the 'waiting' system jobs (I assume by stop you mean cancel???) and they are now sitting at 'cancelled' but are unable to start again, or even go back into their 'waiting' state...

Another thing that isn't working properly are the reports. Whenever I attempt to run these I get an error message that just says-

"Reporting Error"

"The report cannot be displayed."

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:11 AM
  • Hi,

Try the fixes described here:

http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2008/08/proper-care-and.html

Also, install the .net 3.0 service pack 1

You probably will not be able to restart your cancelled jobs.

Regarding the reporting error, is the SRS data connector installed?  If so, repair it (add remove programs, select srs data connector, hit change, then choose the repair option).  Then do an IIS reset on the crm server.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:23 AM
  • Hi, I had a look at the fixes in the blog-

The MSCRM Asynchronous Service is running fine and set to automatic.

We are not using any workflows or SSL.

There is however a number of MSCRM errors generated in the eventlog, the first whenever a report is ran-

Code Snippet
    Web service request SetParameters to Report Server http://server02/reportserver failed with SoapException. Error: The permissions granted to user 'XOOTEC\IUSR_SERVER02' are insufficient for performing this operation. (rsAccessDenied)

And this one, which is the message that is reported by each failing system job-

Code Snippet

Host SERVER02: failed while monitoring asynchronous operations queue. Exception: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)

at Microsoft.Crm.SdkTypeProxy.CrmService.Execute(Request Request)

at Microsoft.Crm.Asynchronous.SdkTypeProxyCrmServiceWrapper.Execute(Object request)

at Microsoft.Crm.Asynchronous.IndexInfo.GetQueryExpressionFromFetchXml(String fetchXml, ICrmService crmService)

at Microsoft.Crm.Asynchronous.IndexInfo.PopulateSavedQueryAttributes(String fetchXml)

at Microsoft.Crm.Asynchronous.IndexManagementOperation.AddToIndexCollection(CrmDbConnection connection, IndexInfo index)

at Microsoft.Crm.Asynchronous.IndexManagementOperation.DoIndexManagement(Guid organizationId)

at Microsoft.Crm.Asynchronous.IndexManagementOperation.InternalExecute(AsyncEvent asyncEvent)

at Microsoft.Crm.Asynchronous.AsyncOperationCommand.Execute(AsyncEvent asyncEvent)

at Microsoft.Crm.Asynchronous.AsyncHostHandler.Handle(AsyncEvent asyncEvent)

at Microsoft.Crm.Asynchronous.JobManager.ProcessAsyncJob(AsyncJob asyncJob)

at Microsoft.Crm.Asynchronous.JobManager.InvokeHandler(Object state)

at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack)

at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state)

I have a feeling they are related, there are also some HTTP status 400 errors...

.NET 3 sp1 is installed however there is no record of a SRS data connector, can you tell me a bit more about it and where I could possibly download it?

Thanks 

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:08 AM
  • The srs data connector is used by CRM 4.0 to get around Kerberos security "double hop" issues.  the installation files for the connector are in the CRM 4.0 installation media--there is a folder called srs data connector.

I would recommend that you open a support case with microsoft on the system job issue.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:41 AM
  •  

Ok, I installed the SRS Data Connector and that has fixed the issue with the reports.

I noticed some DCOM system errors which we thought may also be causing issues and solved them, and also installed .NET 3.5

The system jobs are still not functioning correctly, still with the same HTTP 401 error but I think it has reached the stage to raise a support case.

Cheers for your help in fixing the reports, if I get a fix for the system job I'll make sure and post it up.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:39 PM
  • We are expering the same symptoms you describe in your post here with our CRM 4.0 environemt.  Did you ever find resolution?  If so would you mind posting it up?

Thanks!
    Jeff
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:58 PM