none
DNS issues with Linksys RVS4000 and WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Router stores the server host name but DNS attempts to resolve to the ISP (Comcast) DNS server and returns unknown host.
    Friday, March 19, 2010 5:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Are you saying when you try to go to server.homeserver.com you get redirected back to your router?  This is normal,  try testing out your server from an external network (webcafe, mobile phone, friends house - work is not a good idea becuase most places have firewalls in place)

I didn't quite understand your question so had to make a guess at your question - perhaps if you elaborate if I got it wrong.

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Friday, March 19, 2010 10:41 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the response. Here are the issues. The server disappears and becomes inaccessible from the connector every few hours. I can ping the server directly via IP but the server is not reachable using the hostname (HPSERVER). If I reboot the server it returns for a short period of time and then once again disappears. The server worked fine when first purchased but has exhibited this behavior for quite awhile.

Cheers,

Peter

Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:24 AM
  • There might be a problem with the server.  Have you tried running chkdsk on all your disks according to this FAQ:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/b5372407-1f24-4eff-9092-069c4b4f0cee

--
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Al-

Thanks for the reply. I can get to the command line but I do not know the WHS directory structure well enough to copy the file in and rung the script. Any additional detail would be appreciated.

Monday, March 22, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Hi,

From the command prompt you can use edit to create the file:

edit checkall.cmd

Or if you are more comfortable with Notepad then create it there and save it somewhere that is easy to get to i.e.  c:\checkall.cmd   Or if you already created the file then copy it to c:\ or c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator

--
    Monday, March 22, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Hi Al-

You got it. I created the batch file and it WAS a bad hard drive. Thanks for all of your help, it was a very frustrating problem.

Cheers,

Peter

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:58 AM