Authentication, Authorization, Audit (Triple A) RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

In the work place we have Active Directory.  At home, now with WHS, can we have a light-weight version of AD on WHS?  With multiple workstations in many of our homes, each with their own Security Account Manager (SAM), keeping passwords, permissions, access in sync is hard.  If LAD, Lightweight Active Directory, was an option we would have single account management throughout our home networks.  What do you say?  Give us LAD, please!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

BQuad

Friday, March 21, 2008 1:29 PM

All replies

• Personally I can see the benefit of this for a very small number of people only. Remembering that WHS's "target audience" are those people with little or no IT experience, giving them something like what you describe might make them run a mile. One of the beauties of WHS for the "target audience" is that it is simple to "administer".

Andrew

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:31 PM
  • I would hope that once WHS becomes established, we will see things like this offered by some of the developer community. I guess the biggest problem is 'what is the size of the pot?' i.e. is there enough of a market to enable a company to get a return on it's investment without pricing it out of the home market.

Colin

Friday, March 21, 2008 5:55 PM
  • I'll note that Windows Home Server includes a mechanism for keeping users and passwords in sync already. There's no need for AD on that regiard. Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS) doesn't offer any OS support for authentication (it doesn't provide a way for a user to be authenticated against it's data store at logon, though it can do passthrough to a full AD domain/forest for application authentication), so it wouldn't really be applicable here.
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 5:22 PM