Windows Activation doesn't accept my key (RC1 5600) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I turned on my PC today and tried to log in when Vista prompts me to activate Windows. It says that my activation period has expired and that I need a new key. I tried using the key I installed Vista with but I only get an error and Vista logs me out again. I thought Vista was going to function until at least 2007?

I also thought that I would be ok and be able to backup a few files in case I can't activate Windows again, but it doesn't even let me! I can just run with "reduced functionality" which just runs Firefox and allows me to visit sites. I can't access any files on my harddrive or "My Computer" using Windows Key+E.

Does anyone know what I need to do to make my key work again?

The error I get when I try to activate is 0xC004F008. I'm running Windows Vista RC1, Build 5600.
    Thursday, October 26, 2006 9:24 PM

Answers

•  Senap wrote:
    Hello.

I turned on my PC today and tried to log in when Vista prompts me to activate Windows. It says that my activation period has expired and that I need a new key. I tried using the key I installed Vista with but I only get an error and Vista logs me out again. I thought Vista was going to function until at least 2007?

I also thought that I would be ok and be able to backup a few files in case I can't activate Windows again, but it doesn't even let me! I can just run with "reduced functionality" which just runs Firefox and allows me to visit sites. I can't access any files on my harddrive or "My Computer" using Windows Key+E.

Does anyone know what I need to do to make my key work again?

The error I get when I try to activate is 0xC004F008. I'm running Windows Vista RC1, Build 5600.

Please repost your question in the Vista newsgroup: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup&lang=en&cr=US&r=fc1b61c0-9919-4c89-b6d4-80a07ffad2e2

Thursday, October 26, 2006 9:36 PM