Question about workflows that trigger on attribute change RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone.  I have a work flow that triggers when an attribute changes.  When a user selects an option from a drop down (Lets say default is option 1, and they choose option 3), it puts the current date in another field.  This works great.  The problem I have is once in awhile, the attribute isn't actually changed.  So sometimes a user will make an opportunity, but immediately change the drop down to one of the options that trigger the workflow, like option 3.  When this happens the workflow doesn't seem to fire.  My guess is because the workflow should fire when that attribute is changed, and I'm guessing because the user hasn't hit save yet, the attribute hasn't technically been changed?  It's still on the create mode?

Is that correct?  My guess is I need to make another workflow that fires on create, but not sure if that's what I need either or if I'm completely wrong here.  It's not too often it happens but there's definitely a bunch of times where users make an opportunity and put option 3 in before hitting save so it's not firing the workflow...  Thanks!

Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:28 PM

Answers

• You're correct, you need to change your workflow to Create and when a field changes.   That will make the workflow check in both cases.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

• Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by BeachBoy24 Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:00 PM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:37 PM

All replies

• You're correct, you need to change your workflow to Create and when a field changes.   That will make the workflow check in both cases.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

• Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by BeachBoy24 Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:00 PM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Thank you Donna you're the best!
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:01 PM
  • You're welcome, happy to help.  Have a great day!

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:10 PM