Vista Key Activation Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Firstly not sure if this is the right place so sorry if I'm bugging anyone. I have a 15 month old HP Compaq PC, model SR5722UK, bought from a high street retailer pre installed with vista home premium. At 12 months and twenty days old the motherboard died, HP kindly didn't want anything to do with it apart from a repair costing more than the PC. So I bought the exact same genuine HP motherboard from a HP dealer here in the UK. I have receipts for both to confirm legitimacy. That was about 3 weeks ago, and all has been good.

This morning I got a vista validation window pop up, thought it was strange but put in the key on the sticker on the side of the machine, and it got bounced. I suspect the issue is that HP tatoo their MB's, and this has different info from the original, hence the key won't validate. HP USA online chat have confirmed this. I've run everything I can think of apart from system restore because I can't seem to get any restore points prior to the mb change.

I don't have a great deal of confidence in HP to help fix my problem after the poor customer care when the PC failed so soon with a common and well knows graphics chip problem. I'm 100% confident the PC had genuine vista as nobody else has access to it outside of my family. Can't seem to email microsoft because of course they think the copy of vista is now questionable, now even my pc screen comes up with 'this is not a genuine copy of vista' which hurts. But really not sure where to go to get some help. Can anyone advise, always found microsoft really helpful so counting on you all !

Sunday, August 15, 2010 5:48 PM

Answers

• Sorry to bug you all with my woes, just sorted out the key with the 0800 number, but thanks to all, knew microsoft would sort it one way or another.
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:11 PM