add a Hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• when i installed WHS, i didn't have my second drive ready, so i installed anyways. Now I have installed the secondary drive. Everything is running kosher, except I want to add it to the WHS console. The only problem is in the console, the "Add" button is greyed out. any  suggestions? thanks
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:49 AM

Answers

• I believe that you WHS will not see an 8gb or smaller drive. I tried adding a 9gb and WHS will not see it but I had no problem adding a 160 gb drive. You should be ok with a bigger HD and I don't believe you will have no problem adding the 300 gb.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 10:00 AM

All replies

• Does the 2nd drive show up in the console? If it does, you should be able to highlight it and then the add button shouldn't be greyed out any longer. I just added one today.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:58 AM
  • no it does not show up in the console. It does show up and is recognized in device manager. I can access it through My Computer.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:00 AM
  • What is the capacity of the second hard drive?
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:16 AM
  • your going to laugh, but this is not the actual drive I am going to be using. it is a 10gb. I am trying this out before i get my 300gb out.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:32 AM
  • I believe that you WHS will not see an 8gb or smaller drive. I tried adding a 9gb and WHS will not see it but I had no problem adding a 160 gb drive. You should be ok with a bigger HD and I don't believe you will have no problem adding the 300 gb.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 10:00 AM
  • thanks, i'll mess around with another drive then. good to know.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 1:25 PM
  • I currently have 3 drives in my machine. I want to put my spare 4th one in but it has data on it. Can i install the drive , and copy all the data off of spare and onto My Network Shares though the server then add it to the pool through the console? My external case died and i really dont want to buy another.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 5:02 PM
  • cigga24,

In that case I would hook up this other 4th unit in your main PC first, then copy its content to the server on any folder you want and then re-hooking the unit to the server, which will format it to incorporate it in its storage "tree".

Let me just give you one additional piece of advice, that might prevent issues... within the next versions of WHS Beta, it might still be a must to format all Hard Drives in the Server, so if you are not carefull, you might end up loosing your precious content so plan ahead.

I do have some 320Gig on a secondary hard drive on my desktop that I don't feel confident that now is a good timing to move it to the server. I will wait until I know it is safe to make the move. Cheers

Friday, March 16, 2007 8:36 PM
  • I really dont want to open my main pc cause its toooo much trouble. So i can not log into my server like t was xp and copy the 4th drive into the shared folders before i 'add' it to the tree?

Also you're suggesting i just keep the drive as a secondary/external for when we do have to reinstall and reformat all? I dont really need the extra drive space so i could do that.

Friday, March 16, 2007 9:05 PM
  • I see... hummm... two additional thoughts: you can buy an external case for the Hard drive and hook it to your main PC through USB. I just did a similar thing recently and for $14.99 at CompUSA i found a case that got the job done. One challenge is that the speed is sooooooo sloooooow that you have to start the copy and go do something else.

In any case, at this point, I wouldn't put aything on the server that is important and that I don't have a copy elsewhere. Too early in the Beta stage to assure nothing bad can happen to precious files. In my mind, that is one of the reasons we have been greatfully invited to beta test this: to find errors and have them fixed before a commercial version gets out the door.

Friday, March 16, 2007 9:13 PM
  • I added a new drive to my HS today.  The drive sits waiting to be added to the storage pool, so you don't lose data right away.  The drive had no data on it, so I can't be sure, but I suspect you could pull data from it (using RDP and going through Explorer) before you add it.

I might try this with my external USB disk... when I'm feeling brave!

Sunday, March 18, 2007 12:11 AM
  • You can add a drive with data on it into an already installed WHS system.  I'm playing around with it right now, copying MP3s from a drive into the pool.  Earlier, I did the same thing with a drive of DVD ISOs, after which I added that drive to the pool.  Both experiments worked flawlessly.  You'll have to copy the data directly on the server itself, or via RDP.   I'm not about to move the only copy of my data to my WHS server just yet, but you can add drives to the server without adding them to the drive pool.
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 2:12 AM
  • I have a like problem with my WHS.  I have five 17G scsi drives attached to an Adaptec1000 scsi controller which WHS does not see in the pool at all.  They are however visiable and accessable through disk managment and My Computer.  None of these drives are showing up in the console and my "Add" button is also greyed out.  I see in another post that there may be a minimum size that WHS will accept in the pool?  Is this true and do you know what the size might be?

Regards,

Mark

Monday, March 19, 2007 7:33 AM
  • I would be cautious about using inexpensive external drives.  I tried doing it on my Media Center with an Ultra mini and found that the drive runs hot, and then started getting noisy, even though the mini has a fan in it.  After a few weeks, the Fireware interface stopped working on the drive altogether and I had to resort to USB 2.  I eventually pulled the external drive and put a bigger drive in the computer case.

As for my home server, I just added a third drive in the case and installed from one of the connected computers homer server console.  Slick!

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 5:48 PM