Upgrading to WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm planning to upgrade my WHS server to 2011 and I'm hoping to make the transition as smooth as possible. I'm looking for an instruction list for the process so as to avoid the pain caused by novice mistakes. The current system drive is 3+ years old so I'm going to install a new system drive. All the data drives have been replaced and all is well.  I have done a recent homeserver backup to USB and an additional Full BDBB backup to USB. I plan to down the server, remove and replace drive 0 and begin the install. The system hardware is, MB TYAN S5211G2NR 64bit, 8 GB RAM, with 5) 2TB drives. It sure would be nice to get the server back up & running on 2011 with all my data restored. Anyone got a great play list I can follow?? I'd be very grateful.

Gary Starkweather
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:44 AM

All replies

• What is the use of this forum? Isn't the point to have a place where members can inquire about subjects and informed members offer some input? I've posted on WHS and WHS 2011 forums and weeks go by with no response at all. So whats the point? Looks to me like a big waste of time. Sign up, jump through all the sign up hoops, post a question and stare at a blank response page. In the old days I could call up microsoft, pay a fee, and get answers & solutions. With this forum as a information resource I pay nothing and get nothing. Cool.
    Gary Starkweather
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Gary, you're asking in a forum manned by volunteers, so it's entirely possible that others did what I did, and simply missed your original post.

As for your question, you seem to want a step by step guide to upgrading to Windows Home Server 2011, and I'm afraid no such thing exists. In general, you should be able to take your backup disk, connect it to some computer on your network, and copy from the most recent backup to the server's shares. You won't be able to preserve client backups however; the database formats aren't compatible.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:24 AM