Transferring Microsoft Money Sunset files to a new computer RRS feed

• Question

• I have both a laptop and a PC. On the PC, I am running Money Sunset with certain bank accounts. On the laptop, I am running Money Sunset with a different bank account. Can I transfer the data from the laptop into the PC by adding the data to the current PC Money Sunset files with disturbing the data that is already there? I do not want to lose any of the data from any of the accounts.

Monday, May 16, 2016 9:57 PM

All replies

• What you can do is to install Money Plus Sunset on the new computer. You can copy your *.mny file to that new computer. You can put that copy into your Documents folder unless you have combined your Documents folder with OneDrive or other cloud service. A good way to copy the file is to close Money on the older computer. Copy the Money file to a USB flash drive, and then carry that to the new computer. If you understand networking, you could copy the file that way.

Open Money by right-clicking the copy. Money will remember the location. Once in your file, you must change the location of the backup files to locations that exist in the new computer. Do that with Tools->Settings->BackupOptions.  The best way is to Browse to the locations. I like to put my schedule backup into a USB flash drive, because that will normally not be lost if the hard drive crashes.

Any new changes will not be automatically reflected into the other computer.

Monday, May 16, 2016 11:12 PM
  • I think Janice already has Money on her desktop with numerous accounts, but the copy of Money that she has on her laptop has a different account.  She wants to pull the account information from the laptop and merge it with the desktop.  So she can do a "File-Export" on her laptop, and choose that account she wants to import into the Desktop's Money.  Then transfer that to the desktop, and import it using the "File-Import" function on the desktop's copy of Money.
    Friday, May 20, 2016 5:40 AM