DVD Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DVD drive installed on my 8250 identified on the parts list as a 16X DVD-Rom; however, it will not reognize and DVD.  I can play audio and other CDS's but no DVD action.  How to correct? If I attempt to start the PC in the CD Rom mode, it refuses to recognize the drive.  If I click on teh drive letter under 'my computer'. iot says insert a disc - even though I have a DVD disc in it. Can you advise?
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:46 PM

Answers

• Sgt Bob,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge. I suggest posting your question to one of the Windows XP Forum here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx 

Thank you Sgt :-)

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA  Forum Manager

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:46 PM
  • Sgtbob,

This certainly sounds like a typical hardware failure.

With DVD drives, it's not an uncommon thing for either the CD portion of the drive, or the DVD portion, to fail, but the other portion to continue to work correctly.

This is because a DVD drive has two lasers, one to handle working with DVDs and one for CDs.  Sometimes one laser goes bad but the other keeps working.

Solution:  toss the old one and get a new one.  They're pretty inexpensive, as little as $25-$35 when "on sale!"

Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:58 PM
  • Dan,

Thank you for the information. I figured this was the problem but wasn't totally for sure Sad. Your right there are some great deals online as well as the local PC store where ever one shops :-).

Stephen Holm MS

Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Dan - you were right on the money!  I took the time to remove a working DVD Rom from another PC, installed it in the offending unit and was able to use the feature.  I have a replacement enroute at the moment.  I should have tried that  troubleshooting earlier - I thought it was a software issue.

Many thanks

Bob

Friday, July 6, 2007 1:15 PM
  • SgtBob,

You're welcome!

Friday, July 6, 2007 3:01 PM

All replies

• Sgt Bob,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge. I suggest posting your question to one of the Windows XP Forum here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx 

Thank you Sgt :-)

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA  Forum Manager

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:46 PM
  • Sgtbob,

This certainly sounds like a typical hardware failure.

With DVD drives, it's not an uncommon thing for either the CD portion of the drive, or the DVD portion, to fail, but the other portion to continue to work correctly.

This is because a DVD drive has two lasers, one to handle working with DVDs and one for CDs.  Sometimes one laser goes bad but the other keeps working.

Solution:  toss the old one and get a new one.  They're pretty inexpensive, as little as $25-$35 when "on sale!"

Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:58 PM
  • Dan,

Thank you for the information. I figured this was the problem but wasn't totally for sure Sad. Your right there are some great deals online as well as the local PC store where ever one shops :-).

Stephen Holm MS

Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Dan - you were right on the money!  I took the time to remove a working DVD Rom from another PC, installed it in the offending unit and was able to use the feature.  I have a replacement enroute at the moment.  I should have tried that  troubleshooting earlier - I thought it was a software issue.

Many thanks

Bob

Friday, July 6, 2007 1:15 PM
  • SgtBob,

You're welcome!

Friday, July 6, 2007 3:01 PM