Locked files silently failed to get copied? RRS feed

• Question

• I just tried out SyncToy (2.0) to see if it'd be an effective way for me to do backups to an external drive but was disappointed to see that it failed to copy the Outlook .pst file I use to hold various archival information (contacts, old email, etc.) and, more importantly, gave no indication that it'd failed to copy it.  I assume that this happened because Outlook was running and had that file open and locked with an exclusive access mode.  I could maybe live with this behavior, but only if SyncToy reported such failures to copy (then I'd know I'd need to exit Outlook and any other likely file-locking program and re-run the sync).  As it is, I have no way of knowing which files didn't get copied.

Any chance that SyncToy will be changed to more consistently warn about files that didn't get copied like this?

Thanks.
    --
    Nat

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:14 PM

All replies

• Are you able to see the file skipped in the final results or log?

Thanks.

Thursday, January 1, 2009 4:17 PM
    Answerer
  • The only time the file in question (the .pst that's open in Outlook) file is mentioned at all is if I do a "Preview", in which case it shows up as a file that needs to be overwritten in the right folder.  The log says nothing about it.  When I do "Run" (either in the post-preview context or from the top-level), nothing is displayed anywhere about the file.

Thursday, January 1, 2009 5:32 PM
  • Thanks.

I will contact the owner for this issue.

Friday, January 2, 2009 9:48 PM
    Answerer