Send Direct Email to multiple contacts NOT working; Marketing List status pending RRS feed

• Question

• The logged in user uses CRM for Outlook for both incoming and outgoing emails.
    Option has been checked on Outlook to allow sending CRM emails using Outlook.
    Sending a single email to a contact works fine from CRM and gets tracked under sent items in Outlook.
    However, when sending a direct email to multiple contacts using one of the templates, i don't even see the emails under each contact history.
    Sending emails using Marketing List doesn't work either and status is pending all the time, which has led me to try Direct Email. Direct Email works when selecting only one contact, which is very puzzling.
    Anybody with answers to Direct Emails (to multiple contacts) not being recorded and Marketing List with status Pending for emails, please give me some suggestions.
    Much appreciated!
    Monday, March 2, 2009 6:15 PM

Answers

• It is a wizard, it is easy, trust them, lol :)
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:08 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:18 PM

All replies

• I think that the Direct Email feature will always try and deliver email via the SMTP server and not use the user's Outlook client. Have you configured an SMTP server?
    Monday, March 2, 2009 10:03 PM
  • SMTP Server is not configured since I'm running this on a local machine on Vista and Outlook Client should be able to send emails on behalf of CRM.
    Direct Email has actually worked when I tried it on single contact. However, that process took quite a while to deliver, somewhere around 10-15 minutes.
    Would I need to configure something on Vista for SMTP? Or should I install SMTP Server feature on the CRM Server...
    Monday, March 2, 2009 10:44 PM
  • Delays of 10-15 mins for the direct email feature are unusual, but not impossible. Our hosted CRM platform usually delivers direct email within about 1 minute, but sometimes it takes longer. 

When you use the Send Direct E-mail feature, you are sending a request to the CRM Async service on your CRM service to process an asynchronous job. The async service processes lots of other jobs too (workflow, imports, duplicate detection, etc.) and it is sensitive to the server workload - so if the server is busy your direct email job may take a while to get processed. Once it is processed, the email is sent by the SMTP server configured to work with your CRM server. Sending email from your SMTP service to the recipient's email client is usually very fast, but delays can be caused by the SMTP server, your network, the internet, your ISP and the recipient's ISP, network, mail server and client.

I'd always recommend properly configuring CRM to work with your SMTP server to deliver direct email, rather than relying on bulk emails to be delviered using Outlook.

Regards, Neil
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Thank you so much for your reply.

I'm aware of the async service, and I had already unpublished workflows and duplicate detection, and I barely see any new system jobs anymore. I did all this before sending direct emails.

I have Exchange Server 2007, but I only have that integrated with Outlook. I'm not using Email router.
    When you mention SMTP Server, you are talking about Exchange Server, right?

Do you have any ideas then about why Marketing List emails gets stuck all the time? Status is pending and email never gets sent.
    Also, If I only have a few users, less than 20 let's say, I do not need to split server roles to have a designated server running Async service right? I know there are other factors too other than just the number of users, but we don't have that much activity going on either... I know our network needs to be upgraded, but there hasn't been any major problems.

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 3:18 AM
  • I think you'll need to configure the e-mail router. When you install the router you specify an outgoing SMTP mail server that CRM will use for delivering email. You can use your existing Exchange server for this (the SMTP service is usually installed when you install Exchange, but you might need your email administrator to check it's working correctly). See chapter 3 of the CRM 4.0 Implementation Guide (Installing).

If you haven't installed the e-mail router this probably explains why the direct email jobs aren't being processed correctly.

It's unlikely that you'll need more than one server for 20 CRM users. You should be able to run SQL Server, CRM Server and e-mail router on a single physical server and support 75 users or more. (Of course, it depends on the server specification and usage pattern and if anything else is running on the server).

Regards, Neil
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 7:29 AM
  • Thanks again for your advise.

I would like to make a few clarifications here.

If a user is set to send and receive emails through Outlook, not Email Router, then Email Router is NOT needed, as specified in many documents, including Implementation Guide.

My specific problem is that, when I send direct email to a SINGLE contact, it gets logged in the contact's history. However, when I select multiple contacts and send direct email, nothing gets logged in those contacts' history.

If you give me any sort of advise, I will really appreciate it!

Thank you.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 6:18 PM
  • Anyone have anything to add here.  I'm seeing the same behavior.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:09 PM
  • If you have not already, install Update Rollup 3 on your Server and Client machines and see if that corrects the issue. 

Also, ensure the user has rights to send direct e-mail and that the CRM records used in the 'list' have allow e-mail, allow bulk e-mail, etc. set to Yes or True.  Although the default setting for is Yes or True when you create a Contact, Lead or Account that value might not actually exist in the database.  You can run a simple query on the database to view the field values for those fields and see what you have.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Thanks Donna,

As JJ mentioned, it is working for a single, list of one but not for multiple contacts.

I'm the administrator.  So while I can't imagine how I couldn't have rights, or how I could only have rights to singles, where does one see the rights to send direct email?

Applying updates is quite a chore.  Is there any evidence that this is where the problem lies?  Did everybody need updates to send direct email?
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:54 PM
  • I noticed a potential fix in one of the updates included in the Rollup so I think it will be a good place to start.  It generally doesn't take too much time to install the updates, I got them done for the servers in less than 15 minutes and provided the executable to the users for installation on the Outlook client.  They are fairly easy updates to install.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Where did you find users to run executables for you!? ;-)
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:16 PM
  • It is a wizard, it is easy, trust them, lol :)
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:08 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:18 PM
  • hi, did you resolve this issue?

we just upgraded from CRM 3.0 to 4.0 and now have this same issue...

i verified the contacts do have the email, bulk email options set as allow

thanks
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I was facing the same problem in my dev environment onpremise in CRM 200. I installed CRM 2011 UR 14, then it is started working, but same is not working in production.

-Karthik S

Monday, January 13, 2014 4:21 AM