New Login Account RRS feed

• Question

• Last night I set up a new administrator account on my laptop.

When I signed into this account OneCare went through the procedure for adding a machine to a OneCare circle.

Why is this? It didn't physically add the machine to the circle but I would have thought that by virtue of the machines network name and the other account already on the machine, OneCare would know the machine was already part of a circle? Or is it a case of onecare just starting the procedure off, as a matter of course, then when the user logs in with the windows live id it realises that no further action is needed?

Tom

Thursday, November 8, 2007 1:10 PM

Answers

• Apparently, the much loved <not> Connect site has been having issues of late again. :-(

Thanks for filing the bug, even without the support log.

Based on my experience the other day, this is probably by design as the registry or OneCare database for the current user is updated to reflect the Hub/Circle status. It does seem confusing, though, and should happen behind the scenes.

FYI, my experience was that upon boot, the profile must have been locked as a new one was created with default settings (XP Pro) and it went through the configuration dance partly before I shut down again and restarted to get my normal profile back.

-steve

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:17 PM

All replies

• I don't know the answer to this, but I imagine it has to do with the fact that the new User caused new information to be required in the Registry for OneCare and other programs. I do agree that it should have inherited this from the machine rather than requiring you to go through any configurations.

Can you file a bug on this?

https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

-steve

Thursday, November 8, 2007 6:57 PM
  • Well I posted it - but after 3 attempts to attach a support log (over 2 days) I gave up (page cannot be displayed - but my connection was good).

Tom

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 8:24 PM
  • Apparently, the much loved <not> Connect site has been having issues of late again. :-(

Thanks for filing the bug, even without the support log.

Based on my experience the other day, this is probably by design as the registry or OneCare database for the current user is updated to reflect the Hub/Circle status. It does seem confusing, though, and should happen behind the scenes.

FYI, my experience was that upon boot, the profile must have been locked as a new one was created with default settings (XP Pro) and it went through the configuration dance partly before I shut down again and restarted to get my normal profile back.

-steve

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:17 PM
  • Steve,

What you say sounds logical (sorry makes you sound like a star trek extra) and the laptop hasn't experianced any problems and my OneCare circle reports as OK, so no problem really - just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks

Tom.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:38 PM
  • And I appreciate the comment as I found the behavior strange, too.

-steve

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:05 AM