none
Developing systems and want to switch to MS SQL Server and possibly HPC - where do I get help? RRS feed

• Question

• I’ve been an Oracle DBA for over 15 years and am out of work. The Oracle well seems to have dried up. I want to switch to Windows/SQL Server (and possibly HPC Server) for a project I’ve been working on :

This summer I worked on building a massively parallel system I hope to market through my own company when I find some venture capital. My company is me, a one person organization and has no money. This machine uses the Intel 980X hex-core processor, Intel’s fastest commodity processor and four Fermi processors, each with 448 cores. The Intel portion of the code is programmed using the Intel parallel compilers & tools and the Fermi cores are programmed with Nvidia CUDA C and associated debugging and profiling tools. Using these tools I built massively parallel versions of Oracle BI Analytics (cube, rollup, etc.) in an Oracle Cartridge format. The Intel processor manages the execution of the function and uses optimized, multi-threaded OCI calls to fetch data from the database. Each of the thousands of threads executes an SPMD, single program-multiple data, operation on assigned chunks of data and the results are combined. The Fermi processors each have 3 GB of DDR5 RAM for a total of 12 GB. This could be doubled. The Intel CPU has 12 GB also with each 4 GB on one of three memory buses (on the MB) feeding into the CPU. This also could be doubled. Each Fermi processor uses a PCIe x16 connection to the motherboard. The memory hierarchy extends to the storage unit which uses an Intel X18E 32-GB SSD as a cache. The Oracle database uses an identical high-speed SSD as a “flash cache” adjunct to the Oracle buffer cache.

This system delivers up to 5 teraflops (5 trillion floating point operations/second) of computing power. The design is similar to that of the Nebulae supercomputer in China which holds the #2 spot in the list of the world’s fastest computers, but mine is optimized for BI. Two of these clustered would equal the supercomputer at George Washington University.

The current system runs on Linux. I envision a desktop or local super computing data analysis system. Windows dominates the desktop market while UNIX/Linux is primarily a server system. I want create to create desktop supercomputers and combined database/compute clusters and Microsoft has the tools to do it but I need to acquire some training and the tools to do it.  I am completely broke and out of work at the moment. Does Microsoft offer any grants or have any programs that would help me migrate this project to SQL Server and Possibly HPC Server?  I still am looking for money for additional hardware. Ideas anyone?

Sunday, September 26, 2010 3:21 PM

Answers

• The HPC Pack 2008 R2 Enterprise edition software includes the ability to add machines running Windows 7 as 'workstation nodes.' An evaluation version is available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=4b013794-f6fc-4070-b769-9acd0c140ca9 

You will need to install the HPC Pack 2008 R2 enterprise evaluation software (hpcpack.express.iso) on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine set up as a 'head node', an evaluation version of Windows Server 2008 R2 HPC Edition is available from that same link. Once you have your head node set up you can use the same HPC Pack 2008 R2 Enterprise Evaluation disk to set up with Windows 7 workstation node evaluation.

Friday, February 4, 2011 11:49 PM