none
Security Permissions on WHS Share RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having issues with the "Music" share on my WHS.  I only use a guest account on WHS, and I can access all other shares just fine, even custom ones.  Today, for some reason, I'm getting the "not accessible..., permissions..., unexpected network error".  When viewing the properties of the shares from my PC, I can see a Security tab on all shares except Music.  One the server, I've opened the Music and other folders Security and Share settings side by side, and made them identical.  I've unshared and re-shared the folder in D:\Shares.  Its not a network issue, because I can map a drive letter to //Server/Music just fine.  And it's not a username password issue, because I only use the guest account, no specific users in my WHS.  Normally I would remove the share and re-add it, but since people smarter than me decided to make these shares default and mandatory, I can't do that.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Monday, January 18, 2010 10:15 PM

Answers

• If you've been trying to manage Windows Home Server shares and security in any way other than using the console, then it's likely that your server management is a source of your problem.

There are some things you can try:
    • Using the console, remove everyone's access to the Music share. Restart your server, then grant the Guest account access again.
    • Compare the permissions in both the share security page and the security tab for the Music share to some other share, and try to match them (note that the Music share will have different RO and RW groups).
    If neither of those works, you will probably have to go through server recovery.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:41 AM
  • The Music share has special properties, which you will not be able to replicate on another share. That's at least part of why you can't remove it.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:51 AM

All replies

• If you've been trying to manage Windows Home Server shares and security in any way other than using the console, then it's likely that your server management is a source of your problem.

There are some things you can try:
    • Using the console, remove everyone's access to the Music share. Restart your server, then grant the Guest account access again.
    • Compare the permissions in both the share security page and the security tab for the Music share to some other share, and try to match them (note that the Music share will have different RO and RW groups).
    If neither of those works, you will probably have to go through server recovery.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:41 AM
  • Yeah, already tried those...  looks like I'm going to make a Music 2 folder and move everything over.  That was real smart of them to not let me remove a share...
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:48 AM
  • The Music share has special properties, which you will not be able to replicate on another share. That's at least part of why you can't remove it.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:51 AM