Help with newtork device config and SUPER SLOW connectivity between the Home Server and the Console.. RRS feed

• Question

• Details: 

Network device path(to the home server) = Comcast -> Modem -> Dlink MIMO (4 port) wireless Router -> Dlink 4 port WAP:  From the WAP,  port 1 goes to the HOME SERVER (HP media smart), Port 2 goes to the PC with the HS Console (DEll Optiplex GS 6200 w/ 2 gb RAM)

Network device path to other PC's in the House.  Same as above to the MIMO Router.  From there, ports 2-4 go to other PC's in the house.

Software: Home Server with Power Pack 3, Win 7 on all other machines

Problem 1:  even though the HS and the Console PV|C share the same WAP vis wired connections, latency is extremely slow and frequently times out.

Problem 2: Other PC's on teh network are not seen by the home server

Problem 3: I think I have a config issues between teh MIMO router and the WAP which is presenting me from getting to my home server share wrom outside the house.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steven

Sunday, August 29, 2010 6:14 PM

All replies

•  On 8/29/2010 1:14 PM, Squaker wrote:

Details:

Network device path(to the home server) = Comcast ->  Modem ->  Dlink MIMO (4 port) wireless Router ->  Dlink 4 port WAP:  From the WAP,  port 1 goes to the HOME SERVER (HP media smart), Port 2 goes to the PC with the HS Console (DEll Optiplex GS 6200 w/ 2 gb RAM)

Network device path to other PC's in the House. Same as above to the MIMO Router.  From there, ports 2-4 go to other PC's in the house.

_Software_: Home Server with Power Pack 3, Win 7 on all other machines

Problem 1:  even though the HS and the Console PV|C share the same WAP vis wired connections, latency is extremely slow and frequently times out.

Problem 2: Other PC's on teh network are not seen by the home server

Problem 3: I think I have a config issues between teh MIMO router and the WAP which is presenting me from getting to my home server share wrom outside the house.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steven

Question 1.  Where are the IP Addresses being assigned (in other words, on the modem, the router, and the WAP, which one has DHCP enabled)?

Question 2.  On the router, esepcially, is it getting it's IP Address from your modem or your cable provider?  (in other words, if you check the modem, does it have NAT enabled)

Question 3. Are all of the devices uPnP enabled?

Question 4.  How are the WAP and the MIMO router connected together (wired or wireless)?

My impression is that in a perfect scenario, the cable modem does not provide NAT, which means that the MIMIO router is getting it's IP Addresses from Comcast (probably through PPPoE), and it has DHCP enabled on it.  The WAP is just an access point, so it shouldn't be assigning IP Addresses at all (they should be coming from the Router).  On the router, either you have to manually forward ports 80, 443, and 4125 to the IP Address of the Server (which should be a static IP Address) or everything needs to have uPnP enabled and working in harmony (forwarding the ports manually will be easier, I think).

If you look at the MIMO's configuration, it should have the "Enabled" button selected for DHCP, and will probably say something like LAN IP Address 192.168.x.y and a range.  Make sure that your computers all have numbers that have the same 192.168.x. and different numbers for the y.  And if the server is a static IP (configured manually on the server) then it needs to be outside of the range specified in the config on the router (as you don't want the router trying to give it's address away).

Also (and this may not be important, but it's always nice to make sure), check to see that the Workgroup names on all computers and the server are the same.  It doesn't matter what you put there (you can call the workgroup DOG for all it's worth) but they all have to be the same thing.  And you cannot be members of a domain.

Hope this helps to give you a direction at least.  Have a great day:)
    Patrick.
     -- Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 9:01 PM