Sending out one E-mail if one or multiple tasks are open using a workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'd like to create a workflow which sends out an Email if a task is open. This is not a big deal.
    However, if there are multiple tasks open, only one email should be sent out as well.
    We've got a workflow which might create 20 tasks at a time, and we would like to notify users when they have new tasks, but we do not want to send them 20 emails in that case.

Is there a workflow which can check if a task is open in contrast to workflows checking only a specific task?
    Or a workflow which checks if this workflow has already been executed for the user in the last week or so?

Thanks for the help.
    Robin

Monday, April 13, 2015 1:24 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, the out of the box functionality isn't this smart.  What you want is some kind of 'digest' notifying the user of new tasks assignments, with a variable number of them each time?

If you are creating the tasks and assigning them to users in the same workflow, you could have step(s) create the 20 tasks, and then just one email step that let's the user know that 20 tasks have been assigned.  There is no easy way to get a URL link to each tasks, but there are ways to accomplish this with plugin code, or perhaps an offline program to check for open tasks and send emails to the owners or those tasks?

Monday, April 13, 2015 7:13 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for your answer. Yeah, a digest would be optimal.
    Unfortunately the tasks are created in seperate workflows, not in one. So that wouldn't work. Good idea though

I guess I'll have to check for plugin code etc solutions.

Robin
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 7:22 PM
  • hi Robin,

you will need a custom workflow activity step to do this. In this on task create, you can check if a reminder has been sent for the last week or so. If not found, send an email.

regards,

Jithesh

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:29 PM
  • Hi Jithesh,

Thanks for the tip, this sounds promising, could you explain that in a little more detail? I haven't created any custom workflow activities yet. I just did some research on how to create them, (using .net framework, etc) but i don't really know what it would be, and how i could use it for that. I do get the "check if reminder has been sent in last week, send email if not" part.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:43 PM
  • I don't know if the complexity of the solutions already proposed is actually less, but i came up with this solution/idea:

the reminder i wanted was for 2 kinds of tasks which are being created by workflows

I add the following fields to the User record: "TasksXOpen", "TasksYOpen" "TasksCreatedThisWeek", "TasksCreatedToday", "EmailSendOutThisWeek", plusminus some
    when the workflow creates a task, it increments the fields by one.
    if the tasks gets closed, "tasksOpen" goes down by one. (wait workflow for that)
    at the end of the week, the day or if a certain threshold is surpassed, recursive workflow/wait condition workflow sends out "you have x tasks open and y tasks were created this week, link" depending on some conditions like tasksopen > 0, etc and tasksCreated fields are set to zero

This might be a lot of work with setting up the buttons, workflows, adding childworkflows, recursive workflows. can workflows at some point have a negative effect on performance?
    I don't know if any of the other solutions would be easier, generally and to me in perticular since i haven't done plugins, worked with .net framework, etc, yet.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 9:30 PM