WHS-2011 backup fails with my new computer. VSS error 8194. RRS feed

• Question

• I have gone through all the posts related to this (best one is http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/fi-FI/whs2011/thread/2e7e388b-bb97-4471-822b-c0daab9681cc).  But I still cannot backup my new system.  I have heard that there are issues with EFI partitions, but don't know if that is my issue.  I don't want to back up the EFI partition anyhow.

So, new system, Windows 7 Ultimate X64.  I can select the disks to back up just fine from the console.  When I do a backup, the backup always fails.  This is the only system (of 10) that fails.  It is also the only one with an EFI partition.  Running windows backup works fine and VSS works fine for everything but WHS.  

The error in the logfile on the client system is:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
    . This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process. 

Operation:
       Gathering Writer Data

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
       Writer Name: System Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {8ddd95f4-510c-4bc7-acfb-49a12bcfc075}

- System
    - Provider
    [ Name] VSS
    - EventID 8194
    [ Qualifiers] 0
    Level 2
    Task 0
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2012-04-08T05:59:31.000000000Z
    EventRecordID 2066
    Channel Application
    Computer XXX
    Security
    - EventData
    0x80070005, Access is denied.
    Operation: Gathering Writer Data Context: Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220} Writer Name: System Writer Writer Instance ID: {8ddd95f4-510c-4bc7-acfb-49a12bcfc075}
    2D20436F64653A20575254575254494330303030313236302D2043616C6C3A20575254575254494330303030313231342D205049443A202030303030313133362D205449443A202030303031343434382D20434D443A2020433A5C57696E646F77735C73797374656D33325C737663686F73742E657865202D6B204E6574776F726B53657276696365202020202020202D20557365723A204E616D653A204E5420415554484F524954595C4E4554574F524B20534552564943452C205349443A532D312D352D3230

It appears to only be WHS that has a problem with VSS.  No antivirus running.  I really need this to work for backups on this system, are there any known fixes for this issue?

Thanks!

Sunday, April 8, 2012 6:19 AM

Answers

• In my experience, if there is EFI anywhere on the client machine you are trying to back up, forget it. It does not have to be the drive you are trying to back up. For some reason, this whole EFI thing just snuck up on microsoft and they have no plans on how to handle it, and haven't since WHS 2011 was released. Stick with simple MBR disks.
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:34 AM
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 4:49 AM
  • So, here is where things were left with Microsoft on the issue.

1. As Rutlet stated, WHS 2011 does not understand what a GPT disk is.
    2. EFI partitions are created automatically when Windows is installed, you don't have choice on this one.
    3. EFI partitions require a GPT disk, thus, if you have a GPT disk the entire computer will fail for backup on any disk.
    4. Drives larger than 2T will require a GPT disk and therefore are not supported.

My experience, however, was far more grave, but, read on for my happy ending.

While troubleshooting my system for backup issues with WHS 2011, Microsoft made several changes to the system.  One of those changes broke the built in backup program on the Windows computer I was trying to back up.  I had been using the built in backup to keep my system backed up as I could not get WHS 2011 to work.  While trying to fix what they broke, the support person said I needed to format the disk with backups on it, that they believed that this was the problem.  Well, this caused me to lose all my old backups, but, if I could do another one after the format, I would still be protected (except for a brief period while doing the backup).  Well, that did not fix the backup problem, so, this left me with a system with no backups and no functioning backup program.  So, Microsoft said they would look at the logs from my system, but felt it may take more than a day to figure out what they broke.  Anyone care to guess what the odds are of my system going down for this 24 hour period?  Well, in hindsight, 100%.  Something corrupted my boot drive and I lost the entire server.  Needless to say, I was p****d.  It takes quite a while to rebuild the system that I had set up.  I figured that if I am going to rebuild the system, I may as well do it right.  So I went out and purchased a second SSD for my boot drive and set up two 120GB SSD drives as a RAID-0 set.  Well, this made me happy, and my system boots in about 6 seconds from the time I see the little progress bar.  But there was a side-effect.  Windows decided to NOT set up an EFI boot, it decided that it would simply boot of my RAID-0 MBR drive.  Why the change I do not know, but here I am with my system booting from a MBR drive.  So, noticing the change, I installed the backup client and the backup worked.

So, the good news is that I can say with 100% certainty that my issue was the GPT disk.  Unfortunately, anyone out there with this same problem without a GPT disk is out of luck.  I had to close the case with Microsoft because my system works now and there is nothing to troubleshoot.  Thus far I have only heard of one person on this list that has no GPT disks and gets that error.  I was really hoping to help people in this state, but my issue was related to GPT drives.

I absolutely believe that MSFT has to do something about handling GPT disks.  There are already 4T disks available today and WHS will not support anything over 2T.  In addition, even doing a RAID-0 set of two 1.5T disks, or a RAID 5 set of a few 1T disks is not supported.  A single 3T drive is not supported, etc.  Any size drive with an EFI BIOS (in my case, the original drive was 120G) will not work.  The support engineer said they would add this as a feature request for the next release of WHS.  I think this is not a simple feature request, I think that with newer computers WHS backup will simply not work.  This is more of a necessary hotfix than a wait for the next release issue.  I am sure that there are a lot of changes that need to be made to handle drives greater than 2T, it would be nice if we knew a fix was in the works.

Marty

• Marked as answer by Marty42 Sunday, May 6, 2012 10:35 PM
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 10:35 PM

All replies

• I have the same error number and a similar situation..  Windows Home Server 2011 backs up multiple Windows 7 laptops (Home Premium) just fine but it won't back up a single laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium before and after I upgraded the laptop to Win 7 Ultimate.  The one that won't back up is the only one on my LAN with an SSD HD and I've read online some folks get this with SSD systems.  Chkdsk seems to be happy.  I'm at a loss.  I've removed the client from connection to the server, delete its' backups on the server and deleted the connector software on the client.  After re-connecting backups still fail with the same error:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
    . This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process. 

Operation:
       Gathering Writer Data

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
       Writer Name: System Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {7aa09650-7c04-454a-a944-f40c2c572464}

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:22 AM
  • I believe that there are a significant number of people with this issue.  I would hope that Microsoft would address this with some kind of bulletin or a fix.  This system does indeed boot from a SSD.  As these are getting much more popular, I would assume that if there is an issue, Microsoft would fix it.  Anyone from Microsoft out there to comment?

By the way, I have another Win7 system with a SSD and it works fine.  The only difference between the two systems are the facts that this SSD is running on SATA-6 (I would not think that is an issue), and, there is an EFI partition (I would think it would just be ignored).

Help!

• Edited by Marty42 Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:58 PM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:56 PM
  • I have a W7 64-bit machine booting from an SSD on a SATA-III Port which works without issue.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:06 PM
  • Well, guess SSD on SATA-III works fine.  As I said, I have 1 system with an SSD that also works.  Out of 8 systems this is the only one that fails.  I really wish someone from Microsoft would look at this.  There are many people with this problem.  The WHS Volume Copy is the only one that fails.

Marty

Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:03 AM
  • I have the same problem on a WIN 7 Home Premium X64 client. I can access the server via launchpad and  dashboard but I am not able to install and automated backup of my clients . The backup stops after processing 1%. It seems to be that there. I have no idea how to solve it.

Best Rudi

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:16 PM
  • Can you please right click on "Computer" select "Manage" and then open Disk Management in the Server Manager window.  Look at the boot disk and see if the first partition says "Healthy (EFI System Partition)"?  I think this may have something to do with having an EFI partition.  By the way, I have an open ticket with Microsoft on this issue, they are trying to replicate in their labs.  What hardware are you using?  What Motherboard?

Thanks,

Any information you can provide may help.

Marty

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Marty - on the server I have a healthy NFTS partition (100 MB) plus the system partition. It is on a SSD. For the data I have a additional RAID10 drive. Not sure about the motherboard. I bought the server (Tranquil Riley Series) already build up. My client has a healthy EFI partition (100MB). Could this part of the problem an if any idea how to solve it?

Thanks

Rudi

Sunday, April 22, 2012 7:50 AM
  • I have an active open case with Microsoft right now.  After a week they were not able to figure this out and the problem has been escalated to the development team.  I will post the solution if/when I have one.  So far the only common element is the EFI partition.  Not sure why this would make a difference.  

Thank you for the update.

Marty

Sunday, April 22, 2012 7:53 AM
  • Hi Marty,

thank you for your update.

Best

Rudi

Sunday, April 22, 2012 9:49 AM
  • I too have the same issue after upgrading my motherboard and going from Sata2 to sata3 ssd drives with Win7 Ultimate. I have carried out all the steps mentioned above to try and rectify this but no luck :-(

Charlie

Sunday, April 22, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Marty, 

Did you get any movement on the ticket?  I have this same issue- I have checked in the Disk Management and I do NOT have an EFI partition. Please let us know if there's any other information that could help the techs.

Edit: Oh, I should add, my drive is a

Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive

if that helps..

And I am also getting this error also that I am about to investigate- don't know if it's related

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: 
    BC

Hal

• Edited by Hal- Sunday, April 29, 2012 1:17 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Dennis Tcheck Monday, April 30, 2012 2:12 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Dennis Tcheck Monday, April 30, 2012 2:12 PM
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 1:11 AM
  • Hal,

I ran into that VSS 8194 error as well on my Win 7 X64 machines. I found this on the Microsoft answer forum and it worked for me. Not sure if it will do the same for you. It's easy to try.

From the Start Menu, select Run

The Run dialog opens.

In the Open field, input dcomcnfg and click OK.

The Component Services dialog opens.

Expand Component Services, Computers, and My Computer.

Right-click My Computer and click Properties on the pop-up menu.

The My Computer Properties dialog opens.

Click the COM Security tab.

Under Access Permission click Edit Default.

The Access Permissions dialog opens.

From the Access Permissions dialog, add the "Network Service" account with Local Access allowed.

Close all open dialogs.

Restart the computer.

Let me know how you make out,

Good luck,

Tincup

H-P Systems SW Engineer

Monday, April 30, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Thank you for your replies everyone.  Sorry I have not been responsive, I have been (and still am) on vacation (and trying to actually stay on vacation this time).  I have heard back from Microsoft on this and Microsoft is trying to close the case.  Dennis, I had tried your solution before I opened the case and it did not work for me.  Microsoft also tried this and it did not work.  In the end the case went to Microsoft development.  They captured logs and configuration data and then stated that since the boot drive was a GPT disk and not an MBR disk that my system is not supported.  The disk is GPT because there is an EFI partition on it and EFI partitions may only be on GPT disks, thus, my configuration is not supported.  Doing some research, I have also found that ANY disk > 2TB must be a GPT disk.  This means that disks with an EFI partition, or, systems with disks > 2TB must be GPT disks.  My system has a number of drives, so, I set up backup to only backup a single drive that is < 2TB and is an MBR drive.  This also failed.  Although the configuration of my system is "not supported", the drives that are not supported are not set up to be backed up, so I don't agree that this is the root cause.  I am fighting to keep this open as I was told that they would consider this as a feature request (supporting GPT disks) for a future release of the product.  With the product non-functional for many new systems and for all drives > 2T (which is starting to become common) I believe that this is more than a feature request, the product simply does not work for new (fairly common) systems.  

So, to that end, does anyone have a system that does NOT have a GPT partition that has this error?  To check a disk, simply right click on "Computer" or "My Computer" then click on Manage.  From here select the storage item from the tree on the left and then select Disk Management.  When you see the drives in the right pane, right click on the drive itself (i.e. Drive 0, etc.) and select Properties.  In the properties dialog, click on the Volumes tab.  About half way down the tab data is a line that says: Partition Style.  See if it is GPT or MBR.  Do this for all your drives and please let me know if they are all MBR and you are having this problem.  I need a way to create a sense of urgency to get this issue escalated again.

To be clear, I feel that lack of support for GPT partitions is no longer a feature we would like to have, it is part of life these days because Windows forces you to use a GPT partition on many new motherboards, and, drives > 2T are commonplace these days (or, setting up a RAID set with multiple drives may push you over the 2T limit as well).  

I appreciate everyone's support on this.

Marty

Monday, April 30, 2012 4:04 PM
  • Dennis,  been there, done that.  Have the problem on 2 machines. This solution didn't work on either.

Marty, I can confirm that at least one of the two machines I have the problem on is MBR. I would need to check the other one tonight.

UPDATE: the second machine that had the problem isn't doing it anymore.  But the one still doing it is definitely MBR

Hal

• Edited by Hal- Monday, April 30, 2012 7:38 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Hi Marty,

many thanks for the update. Just for clarification - we talk about EFI partitions / hard drives > 2TB on a client, right?

Best
    Rudi

• Marked as answer by Marty42 Sunday, May 6, 2012 12:13 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Marty42 Sunday, May 6, 2012 12:13 AM
    Saturday, May 5, 2012 6:11 PM
  • In my experience, if there is EFI anywhere on the client machine you are trying to back up, forget it. It does not have to be the drive you are trying to back up. For some reason, this whole EFI thing just snuck up on microsoft and they have no plans on how to handle it, and haven't since WHS 2011 was released. Stick with simple MBR disks.
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:34 AM
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 4:49 AM
  • An EFI boot machine uses the EFI partition to hold the boot loader for the OS (all boot loaders, for all operating systems, on a multi-boot system), as well as some other stuff. Restoring to such systems isn't supported, and backing up from a GPT disk is also not supported.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:38 AM
  • So, here is where things were left with Microsoft on the issue.

1. As Rutlet stated, WHS 2011 does not understand what a GPT disk is.
    2. EFI partitions are created automatically when Windows is installed, you don't have choice on this one.
    3. EFI partitions require a GPT disk, thus, if you have a GPT disk the entire computer will fail for backup on any disk.
    4. Drives larger than 2T will require a GPT disk and therefore are not supported.

My experience, however, was far more grave, but, read on for my happy ending.

While troubleshooting my system for backup issues with WHS 2011, Microsoft made several changes to the system.  One of those changes broke the built in backup program on the Windows computer I was trying to back up.  I had been using the built in backup to keep my system backed up as I could not get WHS 2011 to work.  While trying to fix what they broke, the support person said I needed to format the disk with backups on it, that they believed that this was the problem.  Well, this caused me to lose all my old backups, but, if I could do another one after the format, I would still be protected (except for a brief period while doing the backup).  Well, that did not fix the backup problem, so, this left me with a system with no backups and no functioning backup program.  So, Microsoft said they would look at the logs from my system, but felt it may take more than a day to figure out what they broke.  Anyone care to guess what the odds are of my system going down for this 24 hour period?  Well, in hindsight, 100%.  Something corrupted my boot drive and I lost the entire server.  Needless to say, I was p****d.  It takes quite a while to rebuild the system that I had set up.  I figured that if I am going to rebuild the system, I may as well do it right.  So I went out and purchased a second SSD for my boot drive and set up two 120GB SSD drives as a RAID-0 set.  Well, this made me happy, and my system boots in about 6 seconds from the time I see the little progress bar.  But there was a side-effect.  Windows decided to NOT set up an EFI boot, it decided that it would simply boot of my RAID-0 MBR drive.  Why the change I do not know, but here I am with my system booting from a MBR drive.  So, noticing the change, I installed the backup client and the backup worked.

So, the good news is that I can say with 100% certainty that my issue was the GPT disk.  Unfortunately, anyone out there with this same problem without a GPT disk is out of luck.  I had to close the case with Microsoft because my system works now and there is nothing to troubleshoot.  Thus far I have only heard of one person on this list that has no GPT disks and gets that error.  I was really hoping to help people in this state, but my issue was related to GPT drives.

I absolutely believe that MSFT has to do something about handling GPT disks.  There are already 4T disks available today and WHS will not support anything over 2T.  In addition, even doing a RAID-0 set of two 1.5T disks, or a RAID 5 set of a few 1T disks is not supported.  A single 3T drive is not supported, etc.  Any size drive with an EFI BIOS (in my case, the original drive was 120G) will not work.  The support engineer said they would add this as a feature request for the next release of WHS.  I think this is not a simple feature request, I think that with newer computers WHS backup will simply not work.  This is more of a necessary hotfix than a wait for the next release issue.  I am sure that there are a lot of changes that need to be made to handle drives greater than 2T, it would be nice if we knew a fix was in the works.

Marty

• Marked as answer by Marty42 Sunday, May 6, 2012 10:35 PM
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 10:35 PM
    I guess the issue is, Microsoft chooses to create the EFI partition, there is no setting in the BIOS that will turn this off.  There is no choice at install time to tell Windows not to create this partition.  In my case, I got lucky that setting up a RAID disk disabled the creation of an EFI partition.
    • Edited by Marty42 Sunday, May 6, 2012 10:37 PM
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 10:37 PM
  • Hi Marty,

many thanks for your update. You issue you described was related to your client PC, right?

Best

Rudi

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 7:12 AM
  • Hi Marty,

many thanks for your update. You issue you described was related to your client PC, right?

Best

Rudi

Yes, this was the client PC with the EFI partition.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 10:26 PM
  • Hello everyone,  

I seem to be having the same problem as others here.

My client PC has a 500GB hard drive and for some reason Windows 7 Pro 64 installed a EFI partition.  The Client backup nor the Windows Backup will work.  It always fails and the error points to a VSS error.  

My question, will client backup work if I blow out this version of Windows and install the 32 bit version?  If not can someone recommend a good backup program I can schedule to backup the drive c: over the network?  Preferably freeware.

Steven John

Saturday, May 12, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Hello everyone,  

I seem to be having the same problem as others here.

My client PC has a 500GB hard drive and for some reason Windows 7 Pro 64 installed a EFI partition.  The Client backup nor the Windows Backup will work.  It always fails and the error points to a VSS error.  

My question, will client backup work if I blow out this version of Windows and install the 32 bit version?  If not can someone recommend a good backup program I can schedule to backup the drive c: over the network?  Preferably freeware.

Steven John

Steven,

The problem is with the BIOS telling Windows to create the EFI partition.  If you can tell the BIOS on your system to NOT use "Windows Boot Manager" or something similar and to simply boot off the disk, you may luck out and not get the EFI partition.  I do not think 32-bit vs 64-bit will make any difference, you have to make Windows believe you don't have EFI bios.

Good luck,

Marty

Sunday, May 13, 2012 3:12 AM
  • As Marty says, this is a BIOS issue, not a Windows issue. An alternative to what he proposes is to connect the disk to some other computer and use your preferred partition management tool to first remove all partitions on the disk, then reformat as an MBR disk with a single partition. After that, reinstall in the client and reinstall Windows 7. It should use the pre-existing disk partitioning method.

Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:16 AM
  • As Marty says, this is a BIOS issue, not a Windows issue. An alternative to what he proposes is to connect the disk to some other computer and use your preferred partition management tool to first remove all partitions on the disk, then reformat as an MBR disk with a single partition. After that, reinstall in the client and reinstall Windows 7. It should use the pre-existing disk partitioning method.

That's putting quite a bit of spin on it - do you work for Microsoft??

Of course this is a Microsoft issue. Yes the UEFI architecture is telling Windows to create a GUID partition. It has to in order to boot from it. It has to in order to support a drive larger than 2TB.

I would struggle to understand someone pointing the finger at EFI. What is the issue with EFI/GPT exactly? What is the bug that needs to be corrected? It is Microsoft that has dropped the ball in not supporting this new yet prevalent technology. Or do you have an alternate technology to replace BIOS/MBR that supports 3TB drives that Microsoft should be supporting instead??

Windows Home Server 2011 should just have support for this built in. It doesn't. Ball is in Microsoft't court. They need to fix this ASAP. Reinstalling Windows configured with old technology slash splitting large hard drives into multiple MBR partitions is not a solution.

• Edited by hatari7800 Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:33 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:27 PM
  • I have the same problem on a WIN 7 Home Premium X64 client. I can access the server via launchpad and  dashboard but I am not able to install and automated backup of my clients . The backup stops after processing 1%. It seems to be that there. I have no idea how to solve it.

Best Rudi

I also have the same issue (Error:8194) as I just upgraded to WHS 2011 after using WHSv1 without problems. I also have (1) PC out of 5 that won't back up. It is win7 Home Premium x64 and after viewing this thread I noticed that it is the only Client PC that has the EFI partition. The HD is only 150G and I did a default install. WHSv1 backed it up fine. It seems apparent that WHS2011 is the issue and telling us to reformat/re-install our perfectly good working systems is not an acceptable answer. We need a fix now as this is

As a side note,  my WHS 2011 server is running the OS on (2) 1Tb drives in Raid 1 (mirror). It also has an RFI partition.  I back this drive up to a USB 1Tb drive (MBR, not RFI) and it seems to work in this case.

Friday, May 25, 2012 1:39 PM
  • They need to fix this ASAP. Reinstalling Windows configured with old technology slash splitting large hard drives into multiple MBR partitions is not a solution.

Don't hold your breath on this. Backing up an EFI boot machine will require a new client backup/restore engine, and I just don't see that happening in this version.

Note: Reinstalling is a workaround, not a solution. I agree that it's a problem, I just don't see it being addressed in this version of the product. Microsoft has proved me wrong before, but in this case I think it would have to be driven by business use of the product, and business users aren't moving to EFI/GPT in droves (yet).

Friday, May 25, 2012 2:48 PM
  • At the end of my support case I was told that this "issue" would be put on the list of candidate features in the next release.  I was not told they would work on a hotfix or anything like that.  I think Ken is correct, I do not see them fixing this issue in this release.  Speaking of releases, have there been any rumors of a WHS 2013 or any next release?

Saturday, May 26, 2012 12:13 AM
  • Thanks to everyone that replied to my post.  I don't visit here much.  It looks like there will be no fix for this issue.  The local Windows Backup does't work either on the Win7 64 machine.  Does anyone know if Win8 backup works with EFI partitions? 

Steve

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:33 PM
  • guess i should have read the fine print before building my server. both desktops are clean installs my wifes ys drive is a 750 gig wd with a crucial adrenaline cache drive. my sys drive is a 256 gig samsung 830. same vers of win & same security progs on both. only difference(besides chipset/cpu) is when installed win on mine it insisted on efi/gpt setu-p no choice. her comp backs up to server just fine. mine does the stuck at 1%/fail thing.

good to hear there is probably no fix coming anytime soon. at least i can stop beating my head on the wall now:)

Sunday, June 17, 2012 7:06 PM
  • There is a somewhat recent update to add the functionality on WHS 2011 to backup GPT Disks on UEFI computers...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272

After you install it on you WHS, the client connectors will automatically update themselves (they require a reboot), then you will be good to go.

• Edited by same2you Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:12 AM typo
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:09 AM
  • It worked for me thanks.
    Saturday, April 5, 2014 2:41 PM