Quickbooks RRS feed

• Question

• I've been doing a lot of searching on these (and other WHS) forums about installing Quickbooks on WHS.  Here are the various configurations I've read about:
    Installing QB Database Server on the C: drive and the data file on a Shared Folder.

Installing QB Database Server and the data file on a hard drive that has not been added to the storage pool (because of Drive Extender conflicts).

Hosting only the data file on the WHS machine and each client PC will have QB installed on it and access the data on WHS. QB database Server isn't installed. This is how we have QB set up now.  All PC's have QB installed (in multi-user mode) and one of the PC's host the data file.

It seems as option 1 would be the best route to gain most WHS functionality.  One poster seemed to have success with it.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    Jamie
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, March 16, 2009 12:20 PM not a hardware question (Moved from Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation to Windows Home Server Software)
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 1:51 AM

All replies

• Please contact Intuit, or test extensively, before trusting that QuickBooks will be compatible with Windows Home Server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Lara JonesModerator Sunday, March 15, 2009 3:12 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by jamepcc Monday, March 16, 2009 9:07 AM
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 1:54 AM
  • Hi Ken,

Again I appreciate your concern for potential corruption, but lets throw caution to the wind in this case.  You can say "perform at your own risk" :)
    I realize you have some experience (maybe not first hand) with Quickbooks questions.  any advise, ideas, hints or tips you can provide will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks again :)
    Monday, March 16, 2009 2:03 AM
  • I have already given you my best advice, to contact Intuit (who will probably tell you that Windows Home Server is not a supported platform).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 16, 2009 12:20 PM
  • jamepcc said:

Hi Ken,

Again I appreciate your concern for potential corruption, but lets throw caution to the wind in this case.  You can say "perform at your own risk" :)
    I realize you have some experience (maybe not first hand) with Quickbooks questions.  any advise, ideas, hints or tips you can provide will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks again :)

The reason Ken's answer was marked proposed as answered is this: http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Pages/KnowledgeBaseArticle/1008109

Database Server requirements

• Windows XP (SP2 or later strongly recommended), Windows 2003 Small Business Server, or Windows Vista operating systems.
      Note:Windows Home Server Edition is not supported.
    • Windows Server 2008 and Linux (Suse 10.2, Fedora 6) are supported when using an Enterprise Solutions Database server only installation.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, March 16, 2009 4:28 PM
  • If a drive is installed in the WHS but not added to the storage pool or as a backup drive, then that drive would be accessabile and used outside the WHS environment, correct?  Would it act as a standard network drive on which Quickbooks Database Server software could be installed on? 
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:38 PM