Format option during Re-install? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I installed WHS for the first time this weekend.  I know it is supposed to be an unattended install, so I left for an hour or so, when I came back, WHS was on a screen saying that it did not have a driver for my network card and it wanted to search for a driver.  I took out the HWS dvd and inserted my motherboard's cd and starting browsing to the driver.  This is when all heck broke loose.  Dialog windows started dissappearing and it seemed to be trying to continue the install with the wrong CD in the drive.  I guess I wasn't supposed to help it find the correct driver.  Anyway, to make a long story short, my "help" ended up causing the install to fail.

I then had a heck of a time trying to re-install.  Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right place, or maybe my DVD wasn't booting but I could not find any format option for the life of me.  It just kept trying to boot into WHS and continue setting up the failed install.

I ended up having to boot to a different CD, nuke the main hard drive partition, and THEN I could properly re-install WHS.  This second install worked correctly without my "help".

So, am I missing something, or is there no way to format or partition a drive from the DVD once WHS has been installed?

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:58 PM