Restore backup from whs 2008 to vail RRS feed

• Question

• I have looked through the forums and I seen some about this, but nothing for sure noted. I am running whs 2008 now and was thinking about running whs 2010 when it comes out. I want to transfer my information (pictures, music, work files, etc.) from the old one to the new one. I have backed up everything using the whs backup with two external drives. I want to see if anyone testing Vail if I hook an external drive up to Vail and set it to restore from old whs? I read on one forum that I can't run both at the same times which is why I am asking. I have over 3 terabites total of files I want to save. I don't care about the backups and other things, just my work files. If I could run both and link them through the network I would just let them transfer the data and come back in three days. I was thinking about using the beta and just build it and try it my self, but I don't know if I need to remove my whs from the network or set it up on it's on network. From what I have read and seen with the videos, I am looking forward to updating, if it's not going to be a pain to transfer my files. I know the raid is a no no with windows since it's not something they made, but I need to figure out how to hook my other sata drives up cause my new motherboard only has 5 sata ports. Any idea's other then using External drives hooked to a usb hub? or would that work? I have seven 2 terabyte drives to use.  Thanks.    

Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:23 AM

Answers

• The files on a Windows Home Server V1 backup drive are just files. You can copy them from the backup drive to the new server, if you want to go that route. But Vail doesn't deal with backups the same way, so a V1 backup drive won't be seen as a backup drive on Vail. Or you can run both V1 and Vail in parallel until you've transferred your data.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:03 AM

All replies

• The files on a Windows Home Server V1 backup drive are just files. You can copy them from the backup drive to the new server, if you want to go that route. But Vail doesn't deal with backups the same way, so a V1 backup drive won't be seen as a backup drive on Vail. Or you can run both V1 and Vail in parallel until you've transferred your data.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Only having 5 sata ports on your motherboard can easily be sorted by purchasing a pci to sata card they pretty cheap to buy around $20 on eBay I use 2 cards to accomadate 4 of my 8 drives as my motherboard only has 4 ports.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 1:43 PM
  • "Darktimecs" wrote in message
    news:df49b9c7-8ffe-428a-a4fd-1ca4f9a6ffdc@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Only having 5 sata ports on your motherboard can easily be sorted by
    purchasing a pci to sata card they pretty cheap to buy around $20 on eBay I
    use 2 cards to accomadate 4 of my 8 drives as my motherboard only has 4
    ports.
    ----
    For those of us who are not all that familiar with ebay, I just went to
    Newegg and found a huge selection at this link:

Gotta go ... gonna have to get one of those, since I need some more SATA
    ports too.
    Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward