none
Who do we need to contact to update the product list checkboxes on the left of the Technet search results?

Question

• Here's the thing:

When I do a search, I try to be as specific as I can in order to get the most accurate results.  To do this, I will put in a query like "Deployment Checklist Server 2012 R2"  or "Remote Desktop Gateway 2012 R2", etc. 

The problem is that the query picks up the buttons across the top of the "Servers" forums where I can choose from "Home - Windows Server 2012 R2 - Windows Server 2008 R2 - Windows Server 2003 - Library - Forums" - so when I try to create a more accurate search by putting in the product name, it is essentially 'ignored' because the text "Windows Server 2012 R2" shows up on EVERY server related page.

Normally, I can get around this by performing my search, then narrowing it using the checkboxes along the side of the page, but the newest products (you know, the ones we are likely to have the most questions about) don't have check boxes yet, so we are doomed to weeding through all of the Windows 2008 and Windows 2003 items in order to eventually find the Windows Server 2012 R2 item that we are looking for.

The same is true of Windows 8 and 8.1, and Exchange 2013, etc.

I gotta believe that 'TONS of FRUSTRATION' would be alleviated by just getting those checkboxes in there.  I remember fighting through this for years before Windows 7 ever showed up in this list (which happened only within the last year) and never saying anything about it, but this is really a tool that I use daily and depend on, but more an more I am finding that a straight 'Google Search' is giving me quicker, more accurate answers about Microsoft products and issues than TechNet is.

If we can get this worked out, (and then get people to stop marking unanswered issues as 'Answered') this can become a much more valuable tool than what it has degraded into.

If there is a more appropriate place for me to request this, I am happy to be 'more appropriate', but so far, I just can't find the right place.

Friday, June 6, 2014 7:45 PM

Answers

• This said, it really doesn't address the question at hand in any way whatsoever.  If you direct your attention to the source question (should be recognizable as it is the big bold letters at the top listed under "Title") the answer being sought is regarding finding a way or a person who can "update the product list checkboxes on the left of the Technet search results"

I'd send an email to fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, October 5, 2014 10:19 PM
  • When I do a search, I try to be as specific as I can in order to get the most accurate results.  To do this, I will put in a query like "Deployment Checklist Server 2012 R2"  or "Remote Desktop Gateway 2012 R2", etc. 

The problem is that this forum does OR logic for its searches.  The most specific you can be is to use only the most unique word you have to use in a normal search.  Otherwise, use a regular web search and specify which site you want to see results for.   E.g. in BING or Google you would use the  site:technet.microsoft.com/forums  query term.  In Google there is also an  InURL:  query term attribute.  So, for example, if you imagine that Deployment is contained in all URL's that you want to see you would add  inurl:deployment   Then you can be almost as specific as you like, assuming of course that Google has been allowed to crawl the forums that you are thinking of.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, June 9, 2014 1:22 PM
  • They did add the possibility of exact search.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cd25502a-cc77-4d01-b032-98b30464d0fa/forums-release-search-improvements?forum=announce

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, August 9, 2014 4:59 PM

All replies

• BTW - I don't mean to sound like I don't see the value in keeping these lists 'short and easily navigable', but it seems it would make more sense to put the newer items in the list and group the older items into "Older Technologies" or something like that rather than just ignoring the newest stuff.

Friday, June 6, 2014 7:48 PM
  • When I do a search, I try to be as specific as I can in order to get the most accurate results.  To do this, I will put in a query like "Deployment Checklist Server 2012 R2"  or "Remote Desktop Gateway 2012 R2", etc. 

The problem is that this forum does OR logic for its searches.  The most specific you can be is to use only the most unique word you have to use in a normal search.  Otherwise, use a regular web search and specify which site you want to see results for.   E.g. in BING or Google you would use the  site:technet.microsoft.com/forums  query term.  In Google there is also an  InURL:  query term attribute.  So, for example, if you imagine that Deployment is contained in all URL's that you want to see you would add  inurl:deployment   Then you can be almost as specific as you like, assuming of course that Google has been allowed to crawl the forums that you are thinking of.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, June 9, 2014 1:22 PM
  • The problem is that this forum does OR logic for its searches.  The most specific you can be is to use only the most unique word you have to use in a normal search.  Otherwise, use a regular web search and specify which site you want to see results for.   E.g. in BING or Google you would use the  site:technet.microsoft.com/forums  query term.

This looks like a very simple case of 'bad engineering'.

If I am going to have to go out to Google in order to perform a search to get s decent result for a Microsoft database, that really doesn't speak well of Microsoft.

Sadly however, it really is the case that I get substantially better, more accurate results when using Google then when using Microsoft's TechNet directly - even when the answer is a TechNet forum or knowledgebase article.

This said, it really doesn't address the question at hand in any way whatsoever.  If you direct your attention to the source question (should be recognizable as it is the big bold letters at the top listed under "Title") the answer being sought is regarding finding a way or a person who can "update the product list checkboxes on the left of the Technet search results" - as these, in fact, DO play a role in narrowing out unwanted search results, they are merely being terribly neglected.

Monday, June 30, 2014 4:35 PM
  • They did add the possibility of exact search.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cd25502a-cc77-4d01-b032-98b30464d0fa/forums-release-search-improvements?forum=announce

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, August 9, 2014 4:59 PM
  • This said, it really doesn't address the question at hand in any way whatsoever.  If you direct your attention to the source question (should be recognizable as it is the big bold letters at the top listed under "Title") the answer being sought is regarding finding a way or a person who can "update the product list checkboxes on the left of the Technet search results"

I'd send an email to fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, October 5, 2014 10:19 PM
  • Thank you, I will try that route.
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:00 PM