XP Pro Validation Error RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows XP Pro is not updating due to a validation error. I bought a legitimate OEM package when I built my computer (new in the package, halogram, COA, etc.) Unfortunately, my old computer's Windows 98SE system crashed before I built my new computer, and I had to install my XP Pro software in order to recover the data from my old computer's hard drive. (I then junked the old computer.) I then got a genuine advantage validation error on my XP and it hasn't updated since. I had bought a another OEM copy of XP Pro for another computer build, so using a key change program suggested by a Microsoft support person, I changed the key to the new OEM software hoping to resolve the issue. But I continue to get the validation error. At this point, I have invested in 2 copies of XP, but cannot update the system and all attempts to get assistance from MS support have been a waste of time. In fact, the support people have been very unhelpful and even hinted that I had pirated software (which I have very definitely not done). I have copied below the results from the diagnostic tool. Please advise. Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0): ----------------------------------------- WGA Data--> Validation Status: Invalid Product Key Detailed Status: N/A Windows Product Key: *****-*****-BW3TG-BJD49-***** Windows Product Key Hash: l+2w2rl1i6ULllnEoowYHMyVEgY= Windows Product ID: 55274-640-7957941-23987 Windows Product ID Type: 1 Windows License Type: Volume Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro ID: 1d81186e-f719-4c84-9f7b-8b97fffd7487 Is Admin: Yes AutoDial: No Registry: 0x0 WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5 Signed By: Microsoft Product Name: N/A Architecture: N/A Build lab: N/A TTS Error: N/A Validation Diagnostic: Resolution Status: N/A   Notifications Data--> Cached Result: 8 File Exists: Yes Version: 1.7.18.5 WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft   OGA Data--> Office Status: 109 N/A OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002 Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002 Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002   Browser Data--> Proxy settings: N/A User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32) Default Browser: H:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\YBrowser.exe Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled Active scripting: Allowed Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed   File Scan Data-->   Other data--> Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>1d81186e-f719-4c84-9f7b-8b97fffd7487</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XHG86</PKey><PID>55274-640-7957941-23987</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1645522239-448539723-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Manufacturer><Model>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1011.006</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20051013000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>3B000101040301010101020100150EF933CEB474C9796B8EBE53884B642368F91519B18218B39F52C7BAF6359E0000000000000000000000000000</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>     <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 5:54 PM

Answers

• Your MGA report states: Windows Product ID Type: 1. Windows License Type: Volume Windows OS.  This is not a genuine "OEM" license.  Contact the seller of your Microsoft Windows software and demand a "genuine" OEM version of Windows XP.
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:10 PM
  • YB,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing (VL) edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with an invalid Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are invalidated by Microsoft at the report of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, or misused.  Also, MS may have invalidated the key if it was generated by a non-MS Key Generator program.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are upgrade licenses only and can never be used as the orginal or base license for a computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on the computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

The next step in the process is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or some other version?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:41 PM

All replies

• Your MGA report states: Windows Product ID Type: 1. Windows License Type: Volume Windows OS.  This is not a genuine "OEM" license.  Contact the seller of your Microsoft Windows software and demand a "genuine" OEM version of Windows XP.
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:10 PM
  • YB,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing (VL) edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with an invalid Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are invalidated by Microsoft at the report of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, or misused.  Also, MS may have invalidated the key if it was generated by a non-MS Key Generator program.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are upgrade licenses only and can never be used as the orginal or base license for a computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on the computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

The next step in the process is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or some other version?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:41 PM