Raid Array RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    i have an Hp Porliant ML150 server with a sata raid card & 3 hard drives on it as raid 5.  This used to be a flat windows server 2003 box but I want to repurpose it for a home server.  Windows server 2003 recognizes the raid no problem but when I try to install home server - it doesn't find the raid.  Below are the standard drivers under server 2003 that are referenced for the raid and the maxter HD

aar81xx.sys
    crcdisk.sys
    disk.sys
    partmgr.sys

I have tried downloading the drivers directly from HP and copying these from the system 32 folder directly to an external USB flahs drive.  No matter what I do the raid is not recognized.  It was my understanding that home server was based off of server 2003 and that while raid drives were not necessary as it would mirror data on multiple drives ti would support it.  Please help or advise. THansk! A-

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 1:47 AM

Answers

• AGBagwell said:

Hi,
    i have an Hp Porliant ML150 server with a sata raid card & 3 hard drives on it as raid 5.  This used to be a flat windows server 2003 box but I want to repurpose it for a home server.  Windows server 2003 recognizes the raid no problem but when I try to install home server - it doesn't find the raid.  Below are the standard drivers under server 2003 that are referenced for the raid and the maxter HD

aar81xx.sys
    crcdisk.sys
    disk.sys
    partmgr.sys

I have tried downloading the drivers directly from HP and copying these from the system 32 folder directly to an external USB flahs drive.  No matter what I do the raid is not recognized.  It was my understanding that home server was based off of server 2003 and that while raid drives were not necessary as it would mirror data on multiple drives ti would support it.  Please help or advise. THansk! A-

While it's possible to get it to work, all flavors of RAID are unsupported on WHS.  If you are going to use it anyway (not advisable if you ever need to do a Server Reinstallation), you need to provide the drivers for your RAID card twice (once during the GUI portion of the install and again during the text portion, right after the first reboot of the server, when it has a small window of opportunity to press F6 to install additional drivers).  Also, you pretty much need to use a floppy drive to install the drivers during the text portion.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 1:57 AM

All replies

• AGBagwell said:

Hi,

aar81xx.sys
    crcdisk.sys
    disk.sys
    partmgr.sys

While it's possible to get it to work, all flavors of RAID are unsupported on WHS.  If you are going to use it anyway (not advisable if you ever need to do a Server Reinstallation), you need to provide the drivers for your RAID card twice (once during the GUI portion of the install and again during the text portion, right after the first reboot of the server, when it has a small window of opportunity to press F6 to install additional drivers).  Also, you pretty much need to use a floppy drive to install the drivers during the text portion.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 1:57 AM
  • Also, for further information about why RAID isn't supported, please read Why RAID is not a consumer technology.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:24 PM