Issue accessing elearning site (writing secure code ebook offer) RRS feed

• General discussion

• I used the link provided in my MSDN flash newsletter, and then entered the access code. It prompted me to log in, so I did- and IE6 'hung' with a blank screen ("done" in the taskbar).

I reloaded the page (it kept me signed in) but when I went to try again, it said my access code had already been used, and did not allow me past that initial screen.

Is there a way to reset my code? (code blanked below for security, but I wanted to include the link for troubleshooting).

Thank you,
    Keith

Free E-Book Offer: Writing Secure Code, Second Edition, by Michael Howard and David LeBlanc <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9400745>

Discover the best practices for writing secure code and stopping malicious hackers in their tracks - direct from the top security experts at Microsoft! Through August 27, you can download the e-book of Writing Secure Code, Second Edition for free. This offer requires a valid Windows Live ID and the access code XXXX-XXXX-XXXX. Download the e-book today. <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9332105>

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:17 PM

All replies

• The good news is that if, instead of re-entering the code, you click on 'My Learning' in the navigation bar on the left (you may need to login with your Passport/Live account and re-click on the My Learning button), you will land on your My Learning page with the link to the e-book page where you're supposed to be able to download the chapters or the whole book.

The bad news is that on my system (IE 6, recently upgraded to XP SP3), I'm unable to download any of the chapters or the book.  Clicking on the link starts the download, but after clicking on either Save or Load, the file download dialog pops up with "Internet Explorer cannot download ...35617223_SecureCode_eBook.pdf from www.microsoftelearning.com

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site.  The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found.  Please try again later."  Has anyone else had _this_ problem?
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:02 AM
  • Thanks for the tip- I have two different MS e-learning accounts (one personal, one corporate) and I find the actual learning GUI so non-intuitive that I never use the site.

I found the book under my learning, and when I clicked on it (the whole book, not individual chapters), it brought it up in a pdf browser window, from which I was able to save a local copy no problem. I don't have SP3, and am behind a corporate firewall. I do have a relatively recent full version of Adobe Acrobat installed (the full version, not just the reader).

My best guesses would be to install the lastest adobe pdf reader, and try the link for the full book download.

Good luck, and thanks again for the info on the link location.
    Keith
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:54 PM