none
Visual Studio for Mac Less Compilation and Other RRS feed

• Question

• So I'm experimenting with an ASP.Net Core project; opening it up in VS 2017 and then opening it on the newly released final version of VS for Mac (both using an Enterprise Edition level).  I'm basically using DropBox as the repository for the shared solution.

My main question is here is what is the equivalent I can get on the Mac side to automatically compile my less files?  On the VS 2017 side, I have the awesome Web Compiler extension installed.  I haven't really found an equivalent extension on the VS Mac side.  Any thoughts on how to get VS for Mac to recompile less files every time they are saved?

Other than that question, I have observed the following items:

• Sometimes I need to clean the solution for the everything to run correctly.  
    • On certain files, I get the typical line endings in the following file are not consistent message.
    • I received the duplicate files compilation message on the Mac side.  This was resolved by commenting out some <ItemGroup> Content entries in the csproj file.  This didn't seem to affect the VS 2017 side afterwards.  Here's the message you receive: .NET.Sdk.DefaultItems.targets(188,5): error : Duplicate 'Content' items were included. The .NET SDK includes 'Content' items from your project directory by default. You can either remove these items from your project file, or set the 'EnableDefaultContentItems' property to 'false' if you want to explicitly include them in your project file.

I'm loving what I've so far been able to accomplish on VS for Mac and am excited about its future.  

Thanks for any advice on the less file question!

Thursday, May 11, 2017 12:16 PM

All replies

• Hi sbroskie,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, I searched around and have not found any similar Web Compiler extension for Visual Studio for Mac, the VS for Mac is released not so long.

Since our forum is to discuss the Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor, your issue is about the development on VS for Mac. Please redirect to this appropriate forum: Visual Studio for Mac and click the ‘Report a problem’ to start a new thread for your issue, and you will get a more professional support for your issue, thank you for your understanding.

If so, please share the link in here and that can help other community members who have the same or similar doubts to know it, thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support<br/> Please remember to click &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click &quot;Unmark as Answer&quot; if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact <a href="mailto:MSDNFSF@microsoft.com">MSDNFSF@microsoft.com</a>.

Friday, May 12, 2017 6:03 AM
  • Thanks for the information.  I originally searched for a Visual Studio for Mac forum and nothing showed.  Seems to be a wholly different set of forums than these.

Thanks.

Friday, May 12, 2017 11:52 AM
  • Hi sbroskie,

As far as I know, the Visual Studio for Mac forum that I mentioned is created be recently, maybe this is the reason  that you cannot search it, sorry for this inconvenience.

Please redirect to that forum and seek for a more professional support for your issue, if you have any other issue about VS IDE in the future, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support<br/> Please remember to click &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click &quot;Unmark as Answer&quot; if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact <a href="mailto:MSDNFSF@microsoft.com">MSDNFSF@microsoft.com</a>.

Monday, May 15, 2017 1:35 AM