Random BSOD - DEmigrator.exe / DEfilter.sys RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting random blue screen / stop errors which are driving me crazy.  Often these happen overnight, but they can happen at any time of day.

The majority are 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0x86801fc0, 0x86801fc0, 0x0a000005), but I've also had a couple of 0x0000000a (0x0a0801f8, 0xd0000002, 0x00000001, 0x80a824b9).

The OS debugging tools (for the minixxx.dmp files) report that it's caused by DEmigrator.exe, in particular DEfilter.sys but the "check for solutions" says it was caused by a third party driver... not sure which to believe (unless the debug tools think that DEmigrator is a third party driver)?

It's a custom built system - 2 drives plugged into my motherboard and 4 plugged into a Promise SATA300 TX4 controller.  Drivers are up to date.

I also run Symantec Endpoint Protection v11.0.4014.26 as my AV.

I'm a MSDN subscriber so I tried plain 2003 server and the machine runs the same hardware without the blue screen, so I'm thinking it's something related to the WHS environment?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit:  I probably should add that the blue screen happened quite often when I was doing the initial copy of my files into the shares - in particular when there were 1000's of smaller files.  That said, it still happens randomly at any time of day - even when the server is idle (no other computers turned on in the house).

Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:15 AM

Answers

• The errors you're seeing suggest a hardware problem. I'm more suspicious of a memory issue, but it could also be a hard drive that's failing, so two things that I would try are running chkdsk on all drives , and running a good memory test.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:08 PM

All replies

• The errors you're seeing suggest a hardware problem. I'm more suspicious of a memory issue, but it could also be a hard drive that's failing, so two things that I would try are running chkdsk on all drives , and running a good memory test.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:08 PM
  • I'm getting random blue screen / stop errors which are driving me crazy.  Often these happen overnight, but they can happen at any time of day.

The majority are 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0x86801fc0, 0x86801fc0, 0x0a000005), but I've also had a couple of 0x0000000a (0x0a0801f8, 0xd0000002, 0x00000001, 0x80a824b9).

The OS debugging tools (for the minixxx.dmp files) report that it's caused by DEmigrator.exe, in particular DEfilter.sys but the "check for solutions" says it was caused by a third party driver... not sure which to believe (unless the debug tools think that DEmigrator is a third party driver)?

It's a custom built system - 2 drives plugged into my motherboard and 4 plugged into a Promise SATA300 TX4 controller.  Drivers are up to date.

I also run Symantec Endpoint Protection v11.0.4014.26 as my AV.

I'm a MSDN subscriber so I tried plain 2003 server and the machine runs the same hardware without the blue screen, so I'm thinking it's something related to the WHS environment?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit:  I probably should add that the blue screen happened quite often when I was doing the initial copy of my files into the shares - in particular when there were 1000's of smaller files.  That said, it still happens randomly at any time of day - even when the server is idle (no other computers turned on in the house).

Without looking at the dumpfiles specifically I can't be 100% certain but, I don't think you're reading them correctly. The system is bugchecking the the DEmigrator process. The third party driver should be listed at the bottom of the dump file i.e. image_name. I would suspect the Promise SATA300 TX4 controller driver or the Symantec filter driver as the version of Symantec installed is not supported on Windows Home Server.

Please review debugging for Windows for more information and please familiarize yourself with the supported AV products for Windows Home Server as I do not believe Symantec supports this product for Windows Home Server.

• Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition/Enterprise Edition/Datacenter Edition/Storage Edition/Web Edition/ Small Business Server
  • Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, Datacenter Edition, Web Edition
  • Windows Small Business Server, Standard Edition, Premium Edition
  • Windows Essential Business Server, Standard Edition, Premium Edition

Thank you

• Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:11 PM