Sync Framework and OSX RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Sync Framework.  From what I can tell, for full participation, both ends have to be a Microsoft OS.  Is there any way to sync between a SQL Server 2008 R2 and 3rd party DB on OSX?

Sam

Friday, July 22, 2011 11:44 AM

Answers

• the Sync Fx libraries are all on MS platform only.  having said that, if you can connect to your OSX DB using a driver on an MS-based machine, i think you may be able to write a custom provider for the OSX-based DB such that all sync related code is on the MS-based machine and the OSX-DB is just accessed as a DB.
    • Marked as answer by EHCarleton Monday, July 25, 2011 2:30 PM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 3:02 AM
  • YES - The Sync Framework will work fine if the Windows server does all the syncing and the OSX machine is nothing more than the DB server. 

YES - you need to build a custom sync provider that uses the Firebird ADO.NET Data Provider to talk to the OSX-based DB.

lookup "Synchronizing Other ADO.NET Compatible Databases" in the docs. you may also find a sample custom provider for Oracle in http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/sync

Monday, July 25, 2011 3:44 AM

All replies

• the Sync Fx libraries are all on MS platform only.  having said that, if you can connect to your OSX DB using a driver on an MS-based machine, i think you may be able to write a custom provider for the OSX-based DB such that all sync related code is on the MS-based machine and the OSX-DB is just accessed as a DB.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 3:02 AM
  • I am looking at using the Firebird DB on the OSX side, which is cross platform, and SQL Server as the master DB.  There is a Firebird ADO.NET Data Provider. 

Ok, let me restate what you said and see if I have it correct: The Sync Framework will work fine if the Windows server does all the syncing and the OSX machine is nothing more than the DB server. 

So when you say 'write a customer provider', you referring to a customer Sync Framework provider, not the Firebird ADO.NET Data Provider, correct?  Assuming I am correct, how hard is it to develop such a provider?

Sam

Monday, July 25, 2011 3:20 AM
  • YES - The Sync Framework will work fine if the Windows server does all the syncing and the OSX machine is nothing more than the DB server. 

YES - you need to build a custom sync provider that uses the Firebird ADO.NET Data Provider to talk to the OSX-based DB.

lookup "Synchronizing Other ADO.NET Compatible Databases" in the docs. you may also find a sample custom provider for Oracle in http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/sync

Monday, July 25, 2011 3:44 AM
  • That is music to my eyes (fore I am reading<hehehe>).  Thank you!
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:31 PM