EX470 CPU temperature after cpu and memory upgrades, is it too hot? RRS feed

• Question

• I made an upgrade to my EX470 with 2G memory and AMD LE-1640, I have noticed that the CPU temperature hovers around 41 ~ 44 at idel and system Temp at 27 Celsiou.

I've been running  the  CPU stress test for more than 1 hour and the CPU temp is at 58 degree and remain constant, the System temp remains at 27 degree. Fan speed for both are around 1800rpm.

The ambient room temperature is 69 F or 20.5 C

Is the cpu running too hot?

thanks

Monday, December 29, 2008 6:00 PM

Answers

• You upgraded the CPU. The new CPU runs faster, so consumes more power, but uses the same heat sink: of course it's hotter. Why would you expect otherwise? The maximum operating temperature of that processor line is still significantly higher than you're seeing from your stress test; I think it's either 65 or 70 degrees Celsius.

Did you replace the thermal paste on the CPU, or did you reuse the paste that was already on the heat sink/CPU? Reusing thermal paste isn't recommended...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 29, 2008 10:34 PM

All replies

• Those sound like pretty normal temperatures.
    Monday, December 29, 2008 9:16 PM
  • Before I made the upgrade, the cpu was 27 at no load, but I am getting 41 now and it kinds of worry me.
    What temperature readings do you people get?
    Monday, December 29, 2008 9:52 PM
  • You upgraded the CPU. The new CPU runs faster, so consumes more power, but uses the same heat sink: of course it's hotter. Why would you expect otherwise? The maximum operating temperature of that processor line is still significantly higher than you're seeing from your stress test; I think it's either 65 or 70 degrees Celsius.

Did you replace the thermal paste on the CPU, or did you reuse the paste that was already on the heat sink/CPU? Reusing thermal paste isn't recommended...

Monday, December 29, 2008 10:34 PM
  • You are correct, according to the spec, the max operating temp is 65C.
    I did replaced the paste with arctic thermal paste.  Your post does make sense, it's a faster clock speed cpu and it should run hotter.... but according to the guy who wrote the CPU hack article, he gets 27C with the new cpu when it's idle which is the same temp as the stocked cpu...
    Monday, December 29, 2008 11:11 PM