Web Components Validation Errors RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, my first post here. We recently deployed OCS 2007 Enterprise, and everything went fairly smoothly until we got to the Web Components Validation step. All other validation tests are successful, but when we run the Web Components Validation test, we receive two errors (pool and domain name change to protect the innocent):

-Check GroupExpansion

-Check Http URL

URL: https://poolname.domainname.COM/GroupExpansion/Int/service.asmx
    Received a failure HTTP response.: HTTP Response: 401 Unauthorized
    Content-Length:1539
    Content-Type:text/html
    Server:Microsoft-IIS/6.0
    WWW-Authenticate:Negotiate,NTLM
    X-Powered-By:ASP.NET
    Date:Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:50:30 GMT

Failure: [0xC3FC200D] One or more errors were detected 

You are not authorized to view this page

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Contact the Web site administrator if you believe you should be able to view this directory or page.

Click the Refresh button to try again with different credentials.

HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 401.

Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr),
    and search for topics titled Authentication, Access Control, and About Custom Error Messages.

Received a failure HTTP response.: Unauthorized
    Suggested Resolution: Check whether the Web Server or Office Communications Server component is running and also listening on the specified url. If server is behind a load balancer, please make sure the loopback connection is allowed from load balancer FQDN.
    Suggested Resolution: Check the Web Proxy setting in this machine and ensure that it is correctly configured

-Checking Address Book Server Configuration

-Check Http URL

URL: https://poolname.domainname.COM/Abs/Int/Handler/D-0aba-0abb.dabs
    Received a failure HTTP response.: HTTP Response: 401 Unauthorized
    Content-Length:1539
    Content-Type:text/html
    Server:Microsoft-IIS/6.0
    WWW-Authenticate:Negotiate,NTLM
    X-Powered-By:ASP.NET
    Date:Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:50:30 GMT

Failure: [0xC3FC200D] One or more errors were detected

You are not authorized to view this page

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

Please try the following:

Contact the Web site administrator if you believe you should be able to view this directory or page.

Click the Refresh button to try again with different credentials.

HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 401.

Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr),
    and search for topics titled Authentication, Access Control, and About Custom Error Messages.

Received a failure HTTP response.: Unauthorized
    Suggested Resolution: Check whether the Web Server or Office Communications Server component is running and also listening on the specified url. If server is behind a load balancer, please make sure the loopback connection is allowed from load balancer FQDN.
    Suggested Resolution: Check the Web Proxy setting in this machine and ensure that it is correctly configured

We then followed the Method 2 instructions found in this Microsoft KB article, but this did not resolve the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941095/en-us

We did not try Method 1, because it presents a security risk as noted in the KB.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Jason

Friday, July 11, 2008 1:42 PM

All replies

•  

As far as i know those errors only occur in the "validation wizard". People will still be able to download the Address book without any problems.

MORE INFORMATION

The error messages that are mentioned in the "Symptoms" section indicate that the Validation Wizard cannot validate the Group Expansion virtual server and the ABS virtual server. However, when this behavior occurs, you can successfully access the Group Expansion virtual server and the ABS virtual server.

Friday, July 11, 2008 2:41 PM
  • Hugo,

Thank you for your reply. Could you explain what you mean when you indicate that:

However, when this behavior occurs, you can successfully access the Group Expansion virtual server and the ABS virtual server.

Is there a way to access these virtual servers via browser or some other method? When I attempt to hit the URL's listed above using the browser on the OCS 2007 server itself, I receive the following message:

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

Thanks Again,

Jason

Friday, July 11, 2008 2:55 PM
  •  

Hi Jason,

Have you changed any configuration of your front-end Default Website (after or before deploy OCS)?

Using the ABS and GroupExpansion, you're able to "query" the users and groups using your MOC 2007?

Everytime i`d this kind of error, the problems with ABS and GroupExpansion persist until the problem is solved...

You can try to use Logging tool, and chose ABS objects to monitoring..

Please, let me know about the questions..

Regards,

Friday, July 11, 2008 2:57 PM
  •  

Well i got that from the KB article itself. What i understand from it is:

"You can get a error if you use the validate but users will have no problems accessing sites."

I had a similiar error on the validation of the front ends cause my edge fqdn/hostname is not the same as the one of the FQDNs i had for a role but it worked anyway.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948260

Btw, just came to my mind, you didnt forgot to assign the certificate on the web server default site did you?

Friday, July 11, 2008 3:08 PM
  • Emerson,

I don't believe we've changed anything on the front-end Default Website. We did a consolidated installation of OCS 2007 Enterprise, with the SQL database on another, dedicated SQL server, FYI.

When in the Communicator client, we are able to query a list of users, see their presence, and begin conversations without difficulty. So, it appears that everything is functional. However, this is our first time installing OCS 2007 Enterprise, and when we saw failed validations due to permissions, we were concerned that this issue could come back to haunt us.

Does it sound like we are simply receiving a false error as noted by Hugo? I'd definitely like to resolve this validation error if at all possible, simply for my peace of mind if nothing else. Smile

Thank you for your reply,

Jason

Friday, July 11, 2008 3:10 PM
  • Hugo,

Thanks for the follow-up. I checked our default web site on the OCS 2007 server, and was able to confirm that the certificate is assigned to the site.

What would you say is my course of action at this point? Simply ignore the validation error and move on with my life, or continue to try to troubleshoot?

Thanks Again,

Jason

Friday, July 11, 2008 3:19 PM
  •  

Hey Jason... how are you?

So, you can try 2 things:

In your MOC 2007, when you type the one first name on the "search" field, even if the name isn't in your list, the name and presence appear?

You can search for your distribuitions lists (GroupExpansion) on this search box?

Even with the failures, the Web Componentes are responsable for 3 things:

List users using Address Book

Group Expansion - List Distribuitions Lists

Publish files and see the files using Live Meeting....

If you can do these 3 things, i think that you can use your OCS without problem... But, if you have any doubt about it, feel free to post your entire validate log here..

Regards!

Friday, July 11, 2008 5:24 PM
  • Emerson,

Yes, we are able to

1) list users using address book, and

2) search distribution lists

both using MOC 2007. We aren't currently using any aspects of Live Meeting, so I can safely not worry about it at this time. It seems that despite our validation errors, our installation is functional, so I think we'll move forward with using the product as-is at this time.

Thanks to you and Hugo for your timely responses, they are greatly appreciated.

Jason

Friday, July 11, 2008 5:53 PM