moving drives around on to other controllers RRS feed

• Question

• Will WHS be upset if you switch which drives are on what ports?

I have three SATA Controllers

5x on the Motherbord
    4x on a SATA Controler Card 1
    4x on a SATA Controler Card 2

If I move a drive from SATA  Card 1, port 1, to Motherbord port 2, will the WHS software see this as a missing drive, or find it, and all will be good?
    /krc
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 12:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As long as the system/boot disk remains the same, there should be no problems changing the data drives round, I would think.
    Certainly, on a Dell server, moving the data drives didn't cause any problems. However, that was only on the internal controller, so not sure what would happen on extra cards.
    I would suggest just trying it, but take a note of the original locations prior to experimenting, it shouldn't cause any lasting damage!

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by KevinCossaboon Saturday, September 27, 2008 7:19 PM
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 5:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As long as the system/boot disk remains the same, there should be no problems changing the data drives round, I would think.
    Certainly, on a Dell server, moving the data drives didn't cause any problems. However, that was only on the internal controller, so not sure what would happen on extra cards.
    I would suggest just trying it, but take a note of the original locations prior to experimenting, it shouldn't cause any lasting damage!

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by KevinCossaboon Saturday, September 27, 2008 7:19 PM
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 5:27 PM
  • worked fine.

Moved a Drive from Port 1 of the 6xSATA on the MB, to Port 1 of the First SATA Card. MHS is thrashing the drives, and not reporting free capacity yet, but the console shows the drive.

This is good especialy since the MB SATA drives apear as "SATA" and the ones on the CARDS are showing as SCSI.

thanks....
    /krc
    • Edited by KevinCossaboon Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:26 PM correction
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:07 PM