Scheduled backup not attempted with no logged-in users RRS feed

• Question

• On a different system from my previous two posts, one with identical configuration (Vista Home Premium, patches, WLOC version) except for the backup network share, the scheduled backup was not attempted. At the time the backup was scheduled the system was running, but there were no logged-in users. The backup log shows an earlier manual backup, but no activity at the time of the scheduled backup.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 7:48 PM

Answers

• In case of centralized backup to network share, we expect the share to open to everyone. In case of local backup to network share, you can choose to have username/password. As the credentials are cached by the OS on behalf of the user, it requires the user to be logged in. We are working on a solution. 

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:33 AM
  • As you have mentioned that the share is accessible to everyone, the backup is failing because all the users are logged off. please make sure that admin user is logged on during the automatic backup.

Monday, October 29, 2007 2:52 PM

All replies

• I'll leave this unanswered, but I suspect that you need to be logged in for the scheduled backup to happen. Hopefully, someone with experience on this can confirm.

-steve

Monday, October 15, 2007 6:24 PM
  • I'm having the same problem backing up to a Buffalo LinkStation LS-320GL.  I get the sessage "OneCare could not back up the PC's files automatically because no user with access permisisons to the backup location was logged on.  Make sure the logged-on user has access to the backup share, and then try running backup again."  Two thumbs up for the diagnostics, but two down for unattended backup not working.
    I'm sure that in the backup configuration I supplied credentials (username and password) for OneCare to use, though right now I can't seem to locate where I supplied them.  I wonder if OneCare is trying to use the credentials on the network share, which is actually set-up to authenticate via the PC.  What puzzles me it that the OneCare PC Backup Engine is running at the System level, and the OneCare Backup Service is running at the User level.  If it's the service that actually runs the backup, then I think it would require a user to be logged in to run.

There has to be a way around this.  This should be easy, and is in fact one of the two reasons I'm even trying OneCare.  Unattended backups should be...unattended.  Who wants to be logged in an attend a backup!?
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:33 PM
  • Thanks for adding to this, MikeF. I assume that backup works for you when you are authenticated to the PC?

-steve

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:33 PM
  • In case of centralized backup to network share, we expect the share to open to everyone. In case of local backup to network share, you can choose to have username/password. As the credentials are cached by the OS on behalf of the user, it requires the user to be logged in. We are working on a solution. 

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:33 AM
  • Actually it worked before, but now it does not.  Very puzzling.  I get the same message about not having an authenticated user logged on.  I just checked again to verify that my backup location used a UNC, not a mapped letter name.  It does indeed use \\LS-GLDA9\share, and when I open a command shell and ping LS-GLDA9 I get the LinkStation IP address, so I know DNS is working OK.   I went back into OneCare backup setup and tried to delete the pointer to the LinkStation and there is no way to delete it.

I took my PC out of the OneCare Circle and tried to backup to the same location...no luck.

Hey, I just found where to enter the network credentials...and see that I had entered LS-GLDA9/Admin, so I was using the credentials I need for the  LS-GLDA9 web interface.  It's under Change Settings | Backup  in the Network Backup part of the dialog, there's a Change Credentials button.  Damn, I just did a two hour usability study on IM...I wish I could do a usability study on OneCare!

OK, I tried several different credentials (local PC\Admin & PW, and local PC\[username] & PW) all with the same result:  Couldn't find the network share....
    I'll leave the local pc\admin credentials in place, reboot and go to bed...it's late.  I'll check in the AM to see if the backup ran.  If it does not, I'll have to study the network device's authentication scheme.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:39 AM
  • I should have clarified that my LinkStation is attached directly to my network switch via CAT5 cable.  To verify that the centralized network share is open to everyone I created a new standard user account and sucessfully created a folder and file on the share...so it is open.  I won't be able to look at this again until Tuesday.  Thanks - Mike
    Friday, October 26, 2007 3:22 PM
  • Thanks for the additional information and clarification, Mike.

-steve

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:41 PM
  • As you have mentioned that the share is accessible to everyone, the backup is failing because all the users are logged off. please make sure that admin user is logged on during the automatic backup.

Monday, October 29, 2007 2:52 PM
  •  Sundar Aravamudhan wrote:

As you have mentioned that the share is accessible to everyone, the backup is failing because all the users are logged off. please make sure that admin user is logged on during the automatic backup.

Shouldn't OneCare backup be able to run as a service and use stored credentials to connect to the Share? What I understand your answer to mean is that if the PC is powered on, but nobody is logged in, that backup will not occur. Further, it could be interpreted to mean that it will also fail if a limited user is logged in.

-steve

Monday, October 29, 2007 5:10 PM
  • Yes. This is in case of backup to a network share. About storing the credentials, we are working on that.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:05 PM
  • Sundar,
    Last night I left the Admin account logged on but locked, and had a successful scheduled and unattended backup.  Thanks for the help.  I infer from your response to Steve that you are on the backup team.  I sent feedback on a number of OneCare features via snail mail, but I'll pass my comments on the backup directly to you:

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->1) I need to have a provision to allow encrypted backups.  Right now, all I have is protection against data loss (a backup of data), not against data theft.  If someone walks off with my hidden NAS device not only have I lost my data, but what’s worse, someone else has gained it!

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->2) PLEASE add the ability to find files to restore using the Common Dialog box to drill through the backup file tree.  Restoring all files, or files of a given type, or searching for a file to restore by name is a joke.  I certainly don’t want to restore all files of a given type…and if the file is missing, I may not know the EXACT name…how can I search for it except with wildcards?
    3)  <!--[endif]-->I want to be able to schedule both regular FULL and INCREMENTAL backups so I can rotate my backup media to a remote site.  That way in the event of a disaster, the most I've lost is the incremental backups since my last full backup.
    4) The backup process should run with system level priviledges so no one needs to be logged in.  To protect the setup, a requirement to have an Admin configure the backup is entirely reasonable, but it is not reasonable to require the Admin to be logged in in order for the backup to work at all.  I see that you are working on that.  I think the OneCare circle is a great idea...don't forget about authentication for that feature.

Thanks again for all the input and suggestions - Mike

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 2:52 PM
  • Yes, Mike, Sundar is part of the backup team. So, thanks for the feedback!

-steve

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 8:13 PM
  • Mike,

Thanks for your sugeestions and noted them.

We, at OneCare, really appreciate the feedback and suggestions and handle them with diligence. We appreciate your continued support.

Thursday, November 1, 2007 12:51 PM
  • Does anyone else realize the potential problem with this?  If all your other users files are protected the logged in user will not have access to thier files and those will not get backed up.  The only way to rectify this is to log in as an administrator but who wants to leave thier machine unattended with the administrator logged in.  I guess you could always log in and switch users but what is the impact of performance when you do that?

I am also wondering what impact this has on all the other one care options like the firewall I have grown to enjoy more than the resourse hog norton.  Are all users running under personal settings or are the settings universal for the machine?

I totally agree one care should run as a system service and already be credentialed with the administration account so all the settings are universal regardless of user.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:50 AM
  • Paul, this only applies when backing up to a network Share where stored credentials are required to access the Share. If the Share is enabled for full control for "everyone" without authentication, no admin needs to be logged on, but someone needs to be logged onto the PC for the backup to work. At least that is the way I understand Sundar's response from back in October. And, his response also noted that they aware that this is not ideal and that they are evaluating solutions.

-steve

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:43 PM
  • I have OneCare and I want to get a Buffalo LinkStation Live.  It has been almost a year since the last post on this topic.  Has the problem with auto backup  been resolved or should I wait?  I've also read XP works but there is a problem with Vista backing up to a NAS.

Is it now safe to purcase a NAS for my home?

Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:41 PM
  • People are still, unfortunately, encountering issues with backup to a NAS in many cases.

However, I wouldn't call purchasing a NAS unsafe. If OneCare backup doesn't want to use it, you can probably explore alternative solutions for backup and turn off OneCare's backup. Hopefully, backup will have been seriously revamped in v3 of OneCare.

-steve

Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:02 PM
  •  

Thanks for the reply.  I will probably end up doing as you say.

Any concerns with taking one of my older (but still relatively recent) PC's and installing FreeNAS on it?

Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:29 PM
  • Get NovaBACKUP, by NovaStor.  I have a previous, more comprehensive, post but in a nutshell, it works, and I've tried a ton of backup utilities.  You install & configure NovaBACKUP as Admin and store your credentials when you schedule the backup jobs.  I do daily incrementals and monthly full backups to a Buffalo NAS using NovaBACKUP on Vista Ultimate.
    It even encrypts my backups!  I am 100% satisfied.

Mike
    Friday, October 24, 2008 5:03 AM
  •  coolcad wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I will probably end up doing as you say.

Any concerns with taking one of my older (but still relatively recent) PC's and installing FreeNAS on it?

I've no experience with FreeNAS, but I would think that turning an old PC into a NAS would be rather wasteful from an energy usage perspective. A typical NAS power draw is much less than a PC.

-steve

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 5:30 PM
  •  Hopefully, backup will have been seriously revamped in v3 of OneCare.

-steve

I too would like to have backup to NAS without having a user logged in. Any sign of v3?
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:34 AM
  • V3 is dead. OneCare is being discontinued, so your best bet is to seek an alternative backup solution. See the announcement at the top of the General forum. There will be a free antivirus solution, but backup and other features of OneCare will not exist in the new program.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 7:12 PM