Backups of Shared Folders RRS feed

• Question

• WHS needs to be able to backup all of the shared folders on the server. The shared folders should be treated like a separate computer that you can restore to any point in time and have the ability to restore individual files from a given date.

I plan on using a shared folder as my primary Documents folder. I will use it as my main place to store files. I think if I delete something, or want to go backwards I should be able to restore files that were in a shared folder.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 10:41 AM

Answers

• Instead of backing up shared folders, WHS offers two features that, together, are more powerful and usable than a backup.

First is Drive Extender's share duplication, which keeps copies of all your data on two separate drives (for shares that have had this feature enabled). This gives you safety for those files.

Second is the "Previous versions" functionality. This works similarly to Vista's functionality. Every 12 hours, a snapshot is taken, file changes are noted, and a copy of changed files is taken. When you right-click on a file or folder, you see a tab labeled "Previous Versions", which gives you access to those old versions of files.
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:26 PM
  • That all depends on how much disk space you have in your server, how often you take snapshots of the data, and how much data actually changes.  The more data that changes, the fewer "Previous Versions" you'll have.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:06 PM

All replies

• Instead of backing up shared folders, WHS offers two features that, together, are more powerful and usable than a backup.

First is Drive Extender's share duplication, which keeps copies of all your data on two separate drives (for shares that have had this feature enabled). This gives you safety for those files.

Second is the "Previous versions" functionality. This works similarly to Vista's functionality. Every 12 hours, a snapshot is taken, file changes are noted, and a copy of changed files is taken. When you right-click on a file or folder, you see a tab labeled "Previous Versions", which gives you access to those old versions of files.
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:26 PM
  • How far back can I recover data?
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 6:53 PM
  • That all depends on how much disk space you have in your server, how often you take snapshots of the data, and how much data actually changes.  The more data that changes, the fewer "Previous Versions" you'll have.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:06 PM
  • Daft Q:

Is it possible for this store to be outside of the WHS machine?

Could some form of replication be enabled over the LAN to another share/whs?
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:27 PM
  • As much as we all want to replicate our data across multiple machines for redundancy, this is probably something that Microsoft decided was outside of the scope of a home server product, since most home users currently don't have any sort of backup of any data at all.  It would make a great add-in, though, for those of us that are a little bit more tech-savvy.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:37 PM
  • You can use a freeware app called Synctoy to backup you WHS shares. I keep WHS share backups on an external drive, especially while in beta.

Good luck...
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:56 PM