'Visual Studio must be installed before you can install Microsoft Dynamics CRM Developer Toolkit.' RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying over the last few weeks to install the CRM SDK on my computer and I keep getting the error: 'Visual Studio must be installed before you can install Microsoft Dynamics CRM Developer Toolkit.' even though I have VS 12 installed. In fact I wiped my drive, started from scratch and installed everything but keep getting the same error. I'm at a loss, I've tried doing the Powershell trick but it still didn't work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sunday, November 10, 2013 6:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    for Visual Studio 2012 the file for install the developer toolkit is crmdevelopertoolsvs12_installer.msi (folder \tools\developertoolkit)

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

Sunday, November 10, 2013 6:25 PM
  • That's the one I've tried. I just don't think it works with Windows 7. I tried on an instance of Windows Server 2008 and it worked there.
    Sunday, November 10, 2013 6:27 PM
  • It does work with Windows 7 :) Another requirement is that it can't be the Express version of Visual Studio - just in case you happned to be trying that.

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Sunday, November 10, 2013 8:50 PM
  • I'm having the same problem when trying to install the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Developer Toolkit, MicrosoftDynamicsCRM2013SDK.exe.  Have tried "CrmDeveloperTools_Installer.msi" and "CrmDeveloperToolsVS12_Installer.msi" without any luck!

I'm running Windows 8.1 and have Visual Studio 2013 Professional installed, but always get the error "Visual Studio must be installed before you can install the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Developer Toolkit."

It's a clean install of Windows 8.1, not an upgrade etc.

Any Ideas?

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:26 AM
  • Visual Studio 2013 isn't supported yet (officially), downgrade to Visual Studio 2012 and that will sort the problem out. I realised the clue was in the installer "...ToolsVS12".
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:28 AM
  • Visual Studio 2013 isn't supported yet (officially), downgrade to Visual Studio 2012 and that will sort the problem out. I realised the clue was in the installer "...ToolsVS12".

Thanks for the information & help!  Will give it a try.

I don't think it's very helpful for Microsoft to release versions of products that are compatible.  Especially when they don't say as much.  O well that's another few Gb's to download...

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:32 AM
  • Lol, unfortunately for you again, the clue was in the "System Requirements" tab, on the same download page as the Toolkit.
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:42 AM
  • OK, searching around the internet a bit more, this time to see about when there would be support for VS2013 and I came across the following link, which got it installed on my machine with VS2013.  I know it's not 'official' but rather than have to reinstall VS2012 this seems like a better solution.

Hope it helps some other people to:

http://www.hashtagcrm.com/?p=79

• Edited by jamesis2 Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:32 AM Edit the URL
    • Proposed as answer by jamesis2 Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:32 AM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:31 AM
  • I know this is an old question but thought to post my experience in case someone else has the same issue.

I had Visual Studio 2012 installed, and when I ran the CrmDeveloperToolsVS12_Installer.msi by double clicking on the MSI file I got the "Visual studio must be installed before you can install the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Developer Toolkit" error.

Solution:

Open "Command Prompt" as Administrator.

Navigate to the SDK\Tools\DeveloperToolkit folder

Run the CrmDeveloperToolsVS12_Installer.msi file

Installed without a problem.

• Proposed as answer by Zizhong Z Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:47 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 1:26 AM
  • This helped me when I encountered the same issue!!

Thanks heaps, Nadeeja.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:47 PM
  • I know this is an old question but thought to post my experience in case someone else has the same issue.

I had Visual Studio 2012 installed, and when I ran the CrmDeveloperToolsVS12_Installer.msi by double clicking on the MSI file I got the "Visual studio must be installed before you can install the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Developer Toolkit" error.

Solution:

Open "Command Prompt" as Administrator.

Navigate to the SDK\Tools\DeveloperToolkit folder

Run the CrmDeveloperToolsVS12_Installer.msi file

Installed without a problem.

Thanks for posting this Zizhong Z. I'm embarrassed at how long i wrestled with it before this. 
    • Proposed as answer by RPanek Monday, February 22, 2016 9:02 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 4:22 PM
  • THANK YOU!!!!

I have been trying to fix this problem for hours and your solution worked perfectly!!!!

Monday, November 21, 2016 9:22 PM