none
Why is this thread locked?? RRS feed

All replies

• Actually I agree with CoolDadTx there, there is ambiguty need to be clarifed first, and he is doing what a moderator, or I would say any helper who find the ambiguty will lead to a completely different answer, should do.

In fact with .NET Core 3.1 coming, all "Form" related question would have a new dimension to verify - fortunately (?) I remember that menu is not supported there so no need to ask for that.

And on cases that you don't agree with the need to move, just state that with your reason. No need to call names here. Andrew's reply is not appropiate and will lead to flamewar.

• Edited by cheong00 Friday, March 6, 2020 9:29 AM
    Friday, March 6, 2020 9:19 AM
  • Hi tommytwotrain,

Sorry for the bad experience, if you have any comments or suggestions to the forum, you can put it up in Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums, there will be staff to respond and handle your questions.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Timon

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 6, 2020 9:29 AM
  • Hi tommytwotrain,

Sorry for the bad experience, if you have any comments or suggestions to the forum, you can put it up in Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums, there will be staff to respond and handle your questions.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Timon

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Yes thank you.

I said what I had to say here where those I wanted to hear it are.

Probably what I said was not very clear.

Its not a matter of agreeing. A thread should not be locked for no reason other than disagrement with a moderator.

If one is repeatedly  etc that is different.

Plus forum members should not have to compete with moderators just to offer their opinion on a question.

Plus its the OPs thread.

:)

Friday, March 6, 2020 1:38 PM
  • That thread isn't locked when I look at it. The issue in this thread is the poster is attacking others and marking replies as abusive and being insulting. This will get them in trouble and is drawing focus away from the question. If the poster doesn't stop posting abusive things then the thread will get locked because the thread is no longer providing value to the users.

Edit: The poster is also making allegations that aren't true. For example the poster is accusing moderators of removing abusive flags on their own posts. But moderators cannot do that. You cannot clear the abusive flag on your own posts. This user is just being abusive for no reason.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

• Edited by CoolDadTx Friday, March 6, 2020 2:13 PM Updated
    Friday, March 6, 2020 2:11 PM
  • I locked the post thinking perhaps clearer minds would prevail. Let's see what happens now since I unlocked it hours ago. I did not reply why the post was locked as I'm fairly certain when unlocked my reason would also be flagged and there is little to no support from current moderators. Could I have never locked it? Sure but had the best of intentions in mind when locking the post and had actually waited a while before locking it. My apologies for any issues I caused.

In the end it's not going to matter after July or around then as the plan is to totally shutdown the forums and have developers go to the newer forums which started several months ago for Azure mostly, there was a migration of sorts when this happened.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Friday, March 6, 2020 2:17 PM
  • That thread isn't locked when I look at it. The issue in this thread is the poster is attacking others and marking replies as abusive and being insulting. This will get them in trouble and is drawing focus away from the question. If the poster doesn't stop posting abusive things then the thread will get locked because the thread is no longer providing value to the users.

Edit: The poster is also making allegations that aren't true. For example the poster is accusing moderators of removing abusive flags on their own posts. But moderators cannot do that. You cannot clear the abusive flag on your own posts. This user is just being abusive for no reason.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Speaking of false accusations and unprofessional behavior:  If any such content appears in any post with my name on it in that thread, it certainly wasn't written by me!

My problem with this particular moderator is childish behavior and randomly targeting certain people for no reason at all.  In the OP's case, he was asking for advice on workflow and architectural design of GUIs in C#.  As someone who codes in C# more often than anything else, I view that as specifically relevant to C#.  Workflow and GUI design are not the same in VB as they are in C#.  A Form App's lifecycle (or the lifecycle of any individual Form or Control in that lifecycle) may stay the same, but that's the end of the list.

As such I viewed this moderator's random entry:  "This is not appropriate for a C# forum" as irrelevant and off-topic because it's plain untrue.  His further queries as to what graphical subsystem was in play had already been answered both by the OP's original remarks and by further conversation between OP and other posters before this moderator drunkenly stumbled in acting like he owned the place and telling the OP he needed to find another watering hole.  This moderator's behavior here was totally random, completely inappropriate, and nothing short of abuse of the privilege we standard users extend to moderators based on the responsibility they're supposedly fulfilling. 

Having seen this specific moderator do the exact same thing before, ie taking gross liberties with other people's threads for the sake of his own self-righteousness, I responded more than appropriately and with far more restraint than he or his accomplice KarenInstructor did.  I say accomplice because as bad as CoolDadTX's petulant "RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH" screeches are, Karen's was worse:  She came in and locked the thread several hours or maybe even the day after the last post was made.  I actually found out about the locking of the thread by stumbling across this thread right here.

Moderators are expected to have long since GTFU before they get the appointment.  The kind of childish and abusive crap I see these 2 MSDN Moderators doing is exactly the crap that ran StackOverflow/Exchange into the ground until legitimate programmers won't even touch the place anymore, and it's become a grabasstic cluster of misinformation and self-aggrandizement among cliques of wannabes rather than a legitimate resource. Any useful information found on StackOverflow as of 2020 tends to be dated before 2012.

I'd rather not have that fate for MSDN.

Friday, March 6, 2020 8:03 PM
  • I wonder if we are all talking about the same thread?
    Menu system and sub-menu in C#. Need help with coding buttons and forms
    I now twice read all the posts in it, and I can't see a problem with the post by CoolDadTx.
    I rather perceived Andrews posts as inappropriate
    Just my opinion.

@Karen: I guess your idea of locking the thread was justified: when it is already degenerated into insults, chances of getting helpful answers after this points diminish.

Friday, March 6, 2020 8:38 PM