Code2Fame Challenge RRS feed

• Question

•  At WinHEC, Windows Home Server team announced the “Code2Fame Challenge”!  I would really like to see one of our supporters here on the Windows Home Server forum, win this! 

Here are 3 reasons why I’d recommend to compete.

·         Cold hard cash!

·         Fame… no seriously, FAME!

·         Help add real value to Windows Home Server and the lives of families everywhere!

There have been some great ideas and examples here on the SDK thread and other places, take the time to enter and see how your idea stacks up, you never know!

Also included is a chance to win a trip here to the Redmond campus.  Just to clarify, you may even get to meet me!  How exciting!  ;-)  I may even buy you lunch at one of our famous and delicious, Microsoft cafeterias!  You can even ask our fellow forum member, Still Grey about the experience  .

Thursday, May 17, 2007 5:40 PM

Answers

• Quoting from the website:

Rules and regulations

Check back soon for official rules for the Windows Home Server Code2Fame Challenge.

Keep checking back, they should have the rules soon.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 6:01 PM
  • I was just informed the following:

You are eligible to enter this Contest if you are a legal resident of the 50 United States, District of Columbia or Canada (but not a resident of Quebec).  Contestants must be of legal adult age for their region or province (in the US it’s 18).

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 6:41 PM
  • As I was typing I realized it's has already been posted in the Windows Home Server blog by Todd Headrick.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:23 PM

All replies

• If i could code I'd do it just for the lunch Smile I worked for Microsoft in Las Colinas Tx doing customer service years ago, the cafeteria was incredible, and cheap to!
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 1:38 AM
  • Joel, I've visited Redmond, and eaten at a Microsoft cafeteria. While it wasn't bad at all, I much preferred the reception the next night at the winery. Smile

Saturday, May 19, 2007 2:12 AM
  • Haha, I'm fully with you on that one Ken!
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 4:08 PM
  • I just have two questions about the contest.
    Are people from canada eligible? If so, what is the minimum age to enter?

Thanks
    Friday, June 8, 2007 10:37 PM
  • Quoting from the website:

Rules and regulations

Check back soon for official rules for the Windows Home Server Code2Fame Challenge.

Keep checking back, they should have the rules soon.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 6:01 PM
  • I really wish MS would have done the C2F challange later or provided developers some way to protect their ideas they share here in the dev forum, I'm not much of a developer but I love testing new software and the C2FC really killed this forum before it had a chance to really take off Sad
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 6:55 PM
  • I was just informed the following:

You are eligible to enter this Contest if you are a legal resident of the 50 United States, District of Columbia or Canada (but not a resident of Quebec).  Contestants must be of legal adult age for their region or province (in the US it’s 18).

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 6:41 PM
  •  Shane K wrote:
    I really wish MS would have done the C2F challange later or provided developers some way to protect their ideas they share here in the dev forum, I'm not much of a developer but I love testing new software and the C2FC really killed this forum before it had a chance to really take off

While it may affect the short term add-ins, I think we'll see a lot of great turn outs from people later on.  More than if we had not run the contest.  Though, you have a good point and I will bring it up with our marketing team.  Thanks for your response!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 6:44 PM
  • As I was typing I realized it's has already been posted in the Windows Home Server blog by Todd Headrick.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:23 PM
  •  

I believe the US part of this contest is UNFAIR!!!

Typical MS...

Joel Burt wrote:

I was just informed the following:

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:09 PM
  • Evangelos, I'm sure if you asked around you could find some really swell people here that would represent you without trying to steal your spotlight. It's no substitute for the real experence or the trip to redmond but I understand how you feel Sad
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:41 PM
  •  Evangelos Hadjichristodoulou wrote:

I believe the US part of this contest is UNFAIR!!!

Typical MS...

Joel Burt wrote:

I was just informed the following:

You are eligible to enter this Contest if you are a legal resident of the 50 United States, District of Columbia or Canada (but not a resident of Quebec). Contestants must be of legal adult age for their region or province (in the US it’s 18).

Well im in the same boat here, due to the age requirement, I will be unable to enter my entry.

Is there no way to lower the age requirement?
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:40 AM
  •  

The usual Microsoft level playing field, give the US the advantage then let the rest catch up.

I guess the thing to do is for the rest of the fair world to keep developing but keep you add-in’s under wraps and then when the contest is over embarrass MS with better add-in’s.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:09 AM
  •  

If the challenge isn't open to non US residents, I'm going to do the opposite - I'm going to release a few add-ins before the competition ends so I can say I did it first.

I'd be happy to enter it even if I don't get the cash or trip - I'm mostly interested in the bragging rights!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:27 PM
  • Is there any protection for people who post their add-in here but cannot enter the contest, to prevent other people from taking their add-in and submitting it?
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:08 AM
  • Unfortunatly not Josh, hence why we are not seeing anything to really go 'WOW' about. When the contest is over there will be tons of addons more powerful than can possibly be imagined ;-) However we now have to wait while everyone who thinks they have a chance at getting to redmond (people who will make the real killer addons) to either win or not. If there had been some type of developer protection along with the contest there would be more, nay alot more stuff here to try out and show the real power and advantages WHS can provide.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 2:09 AM
  •  Josh Mackey wrote:
    Is there any protection for people who post their add-in here but cannot enter the contest, to prevent other people from taking their add-in and submitting it?

I am going to a couple of add-ins before the competition closes just to spoil some of the entries, but I won't be posting any source code until after it's closed.

Come on MS, there is a world outside of the USA!! Open the comp to the rest of us!

Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:24 PM