4.0 dev environment database restore RRS feed

• Question

• I have (had) a working dev environment.  I restored the production org_MSCRM database to the dev SQL Server.  I did not include the config db assuming the setup was as it should be.

It now doesn't come up.  When I try the redeployment manager it won't open because it says it can't find the config database.  Should this work.

I'm on 4.0 standard, i.e. I cannot create other organizations.

Monday, February 28, 2011 7:23 PM

Answers

• I turns out to be a "SETUP USER" problem.  The original installer is no longer here and he didn't install it under a service account but his own.  My successor had rigged up his accounts to mimic the SETUP USER and when we ran the Deployment Wizard under his identity it worked fine.

Again, PRODUCTION organization data base and DEV config -- synchronizing DEV with PROD. 

Also, the CRM user account did not have rights to the production database -- SQL privileges come along with the restore.

So, if you have a proper installation on a system user account and touch up the database privileges with that account, it appears you can import the organization alone.

• Marked as answer by mardukes Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:02 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:01 PM

All replies

• Correction: when I try to import organization it says the import wizard cannot conect to the SQL Server or cannot find an organization database on...  I can ping the db server.

When I try new organization it stops me because the name is already taken.

Monday, February 28, 2011 7:38 PM
  • You'll want to restore your production db to include the ms_config db and import it into your dev environment.  That should get things working again.

Regards, Donna

Monday, February 28, 2011 9:43 PM
  • That didn't work either.  I'm going back to no config restore.  I'm hoping the original problem with not finding the database is cured by the fact that we discovered the restored table doesn't offer access privileges to the account used by CRM.

But, it's not going well because the DM is looking for a setup user.

Monday, February 28, 2011 11:46 PM
  • You will probably have to uninstall and re-install your app server entirely for CRM and then use deployment manager to re-attach your org.

Jamie Miley
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 2:49 PM
  • I turns out to be a "SETUP USER" problem.  The original installer is no longer here and he didn't install it under a service account but his own.  My successor had rigged up his accounts to mimic the SETUP USER and when we ran the Deployment Wizard under his identity it worked fine.

Again, PRODUCTION organization data base and DEV config -- synchronizing DEV with PROD. 

Also, the CRM user account did not have rights to the production database -- SQL privileges come along with the restore.

So, if you have a proper installation on a system user account and touch up the database privileges with that account, it appears you can import the organization alone.

• Marked as answer by mardukes Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:02 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:01 PM