Project Server 2007 - Daily build of OLAP Cube never added to the Queue. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My OLAP Cube builds correctly when I manually click the "Build Now" button:

• I can see messages added to the queue
    • I can see details in the SharePoint Logs

However, the OLAP Cube doesn't kick off automatically as scheduled for its daily updates.

• do not see any messages related to the Cube added to the queue
    • I do not see any details of the cube in the SharePoint Logs other than "PWA:, SSP:Unknown, User:Unknown, PSI: Unknown  Cube building timer job invoked and we might be building cube now" every 30 minutes.  
    • I tried to set the daily build at different times during the day but but to no effect.

My environnement is setup as followed

• 2 Web servers, 1 app server and 1 sql server.
    • The company has 2 departments, each using their own PWA distincts instances but sharing the same hardware
    • Each PWA instance has its own SSP, SQL Instance, Reporting Server Instance and Analysis Services Instance.

Note: The OLAP Cube works correctly in the first PWA instance, both manually and scheduled builds.

Thanks,

Jef

Jean-François Guertin Entreprise Solution Architect PrimeTime Consulting | 1-581-997-4911 | www.consultprimetime.com | jefg@consultprimetime.com Certifications Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010 Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 and 2010 Windows SharePoint Services 3.0

Friday, April 20, 2012 3:38 PM

Answers

• Hello JF,

Most often problem is with OLAP cube build timer job associated with specific PWA instance

You may validate this by navigating to SharePoint Central admin>>Operations>>Timer Job definations

Project Server 'SharedServices:http://server/pwa' job 'CubeadminSRPjob"

From OLAP cube build settings page, first disable the periodically schedule option and re-enable the same

This step will delete and re-create OLAP cube build timer job associated with the PWA

Hrishi Deshpande – DeltaBahn Senior Consultant
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, April 20, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Hello JF,

When you select the check box "update Periodically" on cube build settings page , CubeadminSRPjob job will be automatically created.

Since you don’t have that job, try following steps

1. Navigate to PWA site>>>server Settings>> Build Settings
    2. Select the check box “Update Periodically” and save the changes (if already selected uncheck it)
    3. Once again navigate to Build settings and select the check box and save the changes
    4. Navigate to Central admin Page >>> Operations >> timer Job definitions, validate the job is created
    5. If job is not created try to build the cube manually

P.S. Make sure to login as farm admin, just to avoid delay in troubleshooting access related issues

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:27 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

On this instance, is the cube set to build on the hour?

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com

Friday, April 20, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Hello JF,

Most often problem is with OLAP cube build timer job associated with specific PWA instance

You may validate this by navigating to SharePoint Central admin>>Operations>>Timer Job definations

Project Server 'SharedServices:http://server/pwa' job 'CubeadminSRPjob"

From OLAP cube build settings page, first disable the periodically schedule option and re-enable the same

This step will delete and re-create OLAP cube build timer job associated with the PWA

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, April 20, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Hrishi,

Thanks for the reply, I am making progress.

Looking into the Central Admin -> Timer Job Definitions, I can see Project Server timer jobs CubeadminSRPjob for the first SSP instance (SSP-EPM-347). However, I do not see it for the second SSP instance (SSP-EPM-700)

I tried disabling the periodically schedule option in the OLAP Cube Settings and I am getting the error below... most likely because the timer job doesn't exists. How do I create all the Project Server Time Jobs for that SSP instance?

PWA:http://epm-700.itp.extra/PWA, SSP:SSP-EPM-700, User:IP3\gueje03,
    PSI: CubeAdmin.SetCubeBuildingSettings  Undefined Attributes:
    PSError: GeneralUnhandledException  Undefined attributes list:
    System.NullReferenceException: La référence d'objet n'est pas définie à une instance d'un objet.    
    from Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.DeleteObject(Guid id)    
    from Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.DeleteObject(SPPersistedObject obj)    
    from Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedObject.Delete()    
    from Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPJobDefinition.DeleteInternal(Boolean bTargetInstances, Boolean bLockAndRunningJobs)    
    from Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPJobDefinition.Delete()    
    from Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedChildCollection`1.Remove(Guid id)    
    from Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.PWASSPSubmitServerScheduledTimerJob.RemoveJob(Guid jobId)    
    from Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.CubeAdmin.SetCubeBuildingSettings(Guid asCubeUID, String ASServerName, String ASDBName, String ASDatabaseDescription, String ASExtraNetAddress, Int32 dateRangeChoice, Int32 pastNum, Int32 pastUnit, Int32 nextNum, Int32 nextUnit, DateTime FromDate, DateTime ToDate, Int32 updateFreqChoice, Int32 freqNumber, Int32 freqUnit, DateTime startDate, Int32 startTime)    
    from Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebService.CubeAdmin.SetCubeBuildingSettings(Guid asCubeUID, String ASServerName, String ASDBName, String ASDatabaseDescription, String ASExtraNetAddress, Int32 dateRangeChoice, Int32 pastNum, Int32 pastUnit, Int32 nextNum, Int32 nextUnit, DateTime FromDate, DateTime ToDate, Int32 updateFreqChoice, Int32 freqNumber, Int32 freqUnit, DateTime startDate, Int32 startTime)

Jean-François Guertin Entreprise Solution Architect PrimeTime Consulting | 1-581-997-4911 | www.consultprimetime.com | jefg@consultprimetime.com Certifications Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010 Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 and 2010 Windows SharePoint Services 3.0

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Hello JF,

When you select the check box "update Periodically" on cube build settings page , CubeadminSRPjob job will be automatically created.

Since you don’t have that job, try following steps

1. Navigate to PWA site>>>server Settings>> Build Settings
    2. Select the check box “Update Periodically” and save the changes (if already selected uncheck it)
    3. Once again navigate to Build settings and select the check box and save the changes
    4. Navigate to Central admin Page >>> Operations >> timer Job definitions, validate the job is created
    5. If job is not created try to build the cube manually

P.S. Make sure to login as farm admin, just to avoid delay in troubleshooting access related issues

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:27 PM
  • Hi Hirish,

Unfortunately, when I uncheck the "Update Periodically" checkbox and save, I get the error provided in my previous reply.  Seems like it is trying to delete a Timer Job that doesn't exists.

Any idea how to get around the error? Do you think the resolution steps (clearing the cache) provided in this blog will help?

Thanks,

Jef

Friday, April 20, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Hi JF,

yes, Since issue seems to be related to orphan timer job , you should try clearing the cache

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, April 20, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Hrishi,

The answer you provided is correct (select/unselect the "Update Periodically" checkbox)...  Looking deeper in the GeneralUnhandledException I pasted above, there was a grant execute permission missing for my SSP accuont to the proc_DropObjects stored rpoc in the SharePoint Config database...

Not sure why it was not added initially during installation but it is now working...

Thanks Hrishi!

J-F

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:26 PM
  • Hello JF,

I am glad to know that we were able to fix the issue

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:40 PM