Re-installing WHS on a ex475... RRS feed

• Question

• I posted a simular question in the general area of this forum, but since my question is specific to the HP Mediasmart ex475, I thought I'd ask here as well.

How easy is it to reinstall WHS system on the ex475?

If I hit the little "reset" button on the front of the unit, and install using the restore CD, what happens exactly? Does exisiting data in my shares stay, or get blown away? And if it stays, will the "new" system rebuild whatever points it needs to hve to make duplication work?

Does re-installing the system software blow away all backups, and whatever databases WHS uses?

The reason I ask is because I tend to mess around with my systems and eventually muck them up. I'd like to know if it's easy enough to "start fresh" every year or so, without much trouble.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, December 3, 2007 4:46 PM

All replies

• The server recovery program will first find your server on the network, confirm the server name if there are more than one found and then give you 2 options.  One to restore to factory default and the other to restore your system and attempt to save your data.  I did the latter 2 or 3 different times and it restored everything perfectly.  All of my shares were there and the duplication of files was still intact but I had to recreate users and set their access.   The whole process took less than an hour for my recoveries.

The process was really very smooth.   It really gave me some confidence about the whole restore process.

Monday, December 3, 2007 6:27 PM
  • Thanks for the response.

So if I have duplication on for all drives, and then restore the server over the current install, WHS will be brought back to factory-settings with the data on my shares intact.

I'll be missing any current backups, plug-ins, and users, if I understand correctly.

My question, then, is are the Drive Extender databases rebuilt from the ground up using the duplicated data in the shares? What I don't want to do is reinstall the server, and carry over any of the issues I've created. I want to start completely new, with new backups, databases, etc.

So will the "replacement re-install" completely nuke the DE databases, tombstones, pointers, etc, etc?

Thanks again.
    Monday, December 3, 2007 7:05 PM