Voice calls with Communicator Mobile 2007? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all, I haven't been able to find a straight answer anywhere, but is it at all possible to make voice calls through Communicator Mobile 2007 regardless of WAN / WLAN? I see by default there was no way of doing this ("Call" is greyed out), but what about the Voice addon for Office Communicator Server? Will that provide the functionality? If not, is there any way at all to accomplish this? Thanks!

- Adam
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:03 PM

All replies

• Placing VoIP calls using Communicator Mobile is not possible in the current version.  The upcoming R2 release will support dialing contacts directly from CoMo, but that will simply use the carriers cellular network to connect the call, it's not a true VoIP connection.  That functionaily may be introduced into future versions but there has been no word on that yet.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:05 PM
  •  Additionally R2 will support Enterprise Network dialing and Single-Number calling features.  The first allows for calls from CoMo to enter the corporate network via the standard cellular-to-PSTN route but then travers the enterprise IP WAN through Mediation servers to exit a remote PSTN system to complete the call.  An example would be a mobile phone in Chicago calling someone in London by using a coporate IP WAN (e.g. MPLS) to travel to a company office in England, then enter their PSTN and connect the call.  The second feature allows for a mobile caller using CoMo R2 to make all their outound calls appear from the same number. For example if I were to call a client's office from my mobile phone but chose to have the caller ID appear with my business number then OCS would make two calls, one from OCS to my client, and another from OCS to my cell phone (this happens right after I dial the client from CoMo). OCS then bridges the two calls and passes off the communications.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:36 PM