Completely shot my computer!!!!!!!! RRS feed

• Question

•  

I downloaded the trial version and it was runnig and looked to be cleaning out junk. Then it said to reboot. I did and all I got was blue screen of death!  I been without my computer now for a week. Blue screen says (unable to locate component basewdet32) Try re-installing program.

What program? How do you install something when your computer won't boot? Of course these days when you buy a computer they won't give you a disk of any kind. So I ahve nothing to work from.

What can I do?

Thanks,

Sarge

Friday, May 30, 2008 7:51 AM

Answers

• I am sorry to read of your problem, but I am totally unfamiliar with the component that is being reported as missing.

If you installed OneCare and upon the first reboot, the PC crashed, I suspect that you installed OneCare while other security software was still installed and active.

Try booting into Safe Mode -

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

If you can boot into Safe Mode, go to Control Panel and remove OneCare or other security software that may still be installed.

The following is not for the faint of heart, but the instructions are quite detailed (assuming you have XP):

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

You can also contact your PC manufacturer for help with restoring the PC to factory default using their recovery option, but this may cause you to lose *all* data and programs.

And, you can contact OneCare support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:30 AM

All replies

• I am sorry to read of your problem, but I am totally unfamiliar with the component that is being reported as missing.

If you installed OneCare and upon the first reboot, the PC crashed, I suspect that you installed OneCare while other security software was still installed and active.

Try booting into Safe Mode -

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

If you can boot into Safe Mode, go to Control Panel and remove OneCare or other security software that may still be installed.

The following is not for the faint of heart, but the instructions are quite detailed (assuming you have XP):

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

You can also contact your PC manufacturer for help with restoring the PC to factory default using their recovery option, but this may cause you to lose *all* data and programs.

And, you can contact OneCare support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:30 AM
  • Won't boot in safe mode either. Same blue screen. bummer!

Friday, May 30, 2008 8:39 PM
  • I'm sorry to hear that. I believe you will need to contact OneCare support or your PC manufacturer for help, unless you know someone local that can assist you in performing a repair install of Windows. It is described in the article I linked to above. When you installed OneCare, did you have other security software still on the PC?

-steve

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:56 PM
  • OK I borrowed a friend's XP disk to boot my machine. Took off one car and AVG. Then did a repair install of XP home. Put One Care back on (probably a bad idea). Now when I click on IE or Firefox or any other desktop Icons the programs won't open. Programs are there and Icon targets are right but I get nothing. Can't go any where on net because i can't open a browser!

Any Ideas how I can fix this please.
    Bummed out in Texas,
    Sarge
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:13 AM
  •  

Hi Sarge,

I just happened to read this post as I was searching for something else and thought I would let you know what I did to resolve a simular problem I encountered.

The same sort of thing happened to me. I had just bought my Computer and paid almost a $1000.00 for it and I also had no Software.  All I could do was to I think I either E-mail the Computer's Manufactory in my case it was EMachines. Or I called them and asked them why I did not get any Software with My New Computer?  They promptly Apologized. Asked my for my Address. And, to my Total Shock, the very next day, they,  Overnight FED-EXed me the 2 CD's I never got with my New System.  I was really happy cause I was able to get everything back to the way it was when I bought it.  But, at the same time I thought to myself. I could only Imagine that there must be Tons & Tons of other people who have similar situations who don't know where to turn or what to do about this, and that they actually lose out completely thinking the really missed up their Computer's. Some actually even throw those Computer's out thinking they can not be repaired.  Well, me like yourself was not going to stop trying.  So, give them a call and I can promise you they will send you the software that you should of got with your purchase.  Be Sure to have your Product Key # from off your Windows XP or Windows Vista sticker, also the  Serial numbers, usually both are located on  the back of your Tower.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 7:04 AM
  • Sarge, I'm glad to read that you made some progress by doing the repair install, but I think your latest problem is a result of the repair install and has nothing to do with OneCare. Depending on how you performed the repair, many programs may need to be reinstalled as your desktop shortcuts are not pointing to where the programs are actually located and/or the programs are no longer "installed" as far as the Windows Registry is concerned. The files are there, but they are broken since the repair install of Windows re-wrote the Windows registry.

You may want to review this article - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I still think that your best bet at this point is to wipe the PC and start fresh.

-steve

Thursday, June 5, 2008 2:33 PM
  • I just finished a nice long post to Stephen a full big, big Post and I previewed it. Hit my Back Button on my Microsoft IntellaMouse and totally Lost my Whole Post it is gone it went Bye! Bye!  I have only been working on it for the the past 2 hours that's all.  I will have to come back after I get myself back together.  I can't believe I lost it!

NitaG.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 11:19 PM
  • I *hate* the forums at times. :-( There have been some issues with the forum software these past weeks.

Advice: when composing a long post, highlight all text and select copy before clicking anything to preview or post. That way, if an error occurs or a connection problem happens, you can repeat the post by pasting into a new form. If you really want to be safe, paste the text into an email or a text file and save it locally.

-steve

Friday, June 6, 2008 2:05 AM
  • Thanks Stephen for that Information.  I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. Next time I will for sure to just that! Thanks!

-NitaG 

Sunday, June 8, 2008 5:15 AM