media playback on xbox 360 media center extender not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i would appreciate if anyone could help me here. I have windows live onecare for a firewall and my xbox 360 extender was working just fine until three days ago. All settings are the same as i have checked over and over again. I am able to see all my media on the extender except for playback. I have done everything there is to it, all unsuccessful. This is really driving me crazy. 95% of me believe it is not the firewall causing this problem but the extender keeps saying; firewall or network configuration is preventing media playback. If it is not the firewall, i should be able to rule out the network issue too, because if it was, then i wouldn't be able to see the media at all. This is really frustrating.
    To make matters worse, the media player on xbox 360 works just fine.(i mean the other music, pictures, and video players) It is only in the media center that i am havng this problem. Like i said, if it was really the firewall or network, then i shouldn't have been able to play any media on the xbox 360 through my network at all. The problem is in the media center and i don't know how to fix it. Please help.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 3:18 PM

Answers

• Try turning off the OneCare firewall. If the problem goes away, you know it is the firewall - then open OneCare, change settings, firewall, advanced, ports and protocols - at the bottom of the list, select the media extender and xbox option and make sure they are checked.

If it doesn't work with the firewall turned off, seek help in the  media center Microsoft Public newsgroups here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx

-steve

Friday, August 8, 2008 6:04 PM