none
Build 7601 This copy of Windows is not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• You call this 'Windows Genuine Advantage' but the warm and fuzzy feeling it's supposed to give this user is so far missing.

I have just cloned my hard drive onto a bigger one and reinstalled it into my laptop. Now, it gives only a completely blue screen with the phrase "Windows 7 Build 7601 This copy of Windows is not genuine".

It lies. I have a valid product key and an original disc too.

I know you like to ask people to post a copy of their validation details but the installation will not let me do ANYTHING except to turn it off.

So a) what can I do and b) it's about time you got rid of WGA in all its ugliness. It has caused more trouble for more genuine users than anything that Microsoft has ever made.

Please let me know what the issue is here.

Thanks

Tony

Sunday, November 13, 2011 2:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• "King Drax I" wrote in message news:b4403f2c-ec66-4c3e-916d-672f5a300825...

You call this 'Windows Genuine Advantage' but the warm and fuzzy feeling it's supposed to give this user is so far missing.

I have just cloned my hard drive onto a bigger one and reinstalled it into my laptop. Now, it gives only a completely blue screen with the phrase "Windows 7 Build 7601 This copy of Windows is not genuine".

SO – please follow forum guidelines, and post a MGADiag report.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine, but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!

If you can't access the desktop....

If you do not have access to the Start Button:
    1) Login to Vista and click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.
    2) Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.
    3) A window will come up asking if you want to “Run” or “Save”, Select “Run”
    4) When the program runs, click the “Continue” button, then click the “Copy” button (IGNORE any error messages at this point).
    5) Return to this thread
    6) In a reply post, paste the Diagnostic Report (by right-click select Paste or by using Ctrl+V)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 4:17 PM
  • I know you like to ask people to post a copy of their validation details but the installation will not let me do ANYTHING except to turn it off.

If you can't do anything it is not a not genuine problem. windows will function mostly normally in a not genuine state.

If you are unable to post a report then you should be looking for a problem with your disk image.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 4:29 PM
    Answerer
  • SO - RTFQ. Told you I can't get to the tool, or anything else for that matter, which was why I have posted in this thread. Also it's not Vista, it's 7. Either way WGA is still the most annoying thing ever.

George1009 - thanks mate, will research along those lines! :)

Thanks for your help folks.

• Edited by King Drax I Sunday, November 13, 2011 4:39 PM
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 4:38 PM
  • If you unable to generate a Diagnostic Report, there is not much we can do for you here in the forums. (Genuine issue all look allot alike so the information the Diagnostic Report provides is needed, in most cases, to identify the specific issue).

At this point, I recommend contacting Microsoft Assisted Support, at one of the below URLs, for further assistance:

North America: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_genadv_master?ws=support&ws=support#tab4

Outside North America:
    http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support#tab0

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:00 PM
  • Microsoft are lying about this problem.I have had the same problem with my Toshibal computer & my grandchildren have had the same problem with their Dell laptops.

Toshiba fixed the problem for me free of charge but were very cagey about what caused the problem in the first place.Dell wanted to charge me £80 to fix it & told me it was a virus.I told them that I had a TOP-OF-THE-RANGE anti virus installed so this should not be the case.They again were very cagey about the cause.

COME ON MICROSOFT BE TRUTHFULL TO YOUR PUNTERS.YOU HAD COCKED IT UP.

Friday, January 24, 2014 12:23 PM
  • First off this thread is nearly three years old.  Secondly, they actually are not lying.  That is very bad for business.  If you or your grandchildren are having Windows Genuine issues, the best thing to do is to generate a diagnostic and post the results in a new thread in this forum.  Directions for doing so are here:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e73cf15c-5bbf-47c1-bfd2-25c49f7216dc/please-read-before-posting?forum=genuinewindows7

Reading and posting and helping in this forum have led me to understand that the people here have a greater understanding of the diagnostic results and how to fix them than any of the major computer companies...they are more interested in selling computers OR then the first line people at Microsoft who simply read scripts.  I would wager that 90% of the people who post here with a problem get the accurate answer within a few days.

And no I do not work for Microsoft or any of their distributors.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Friday, January 24, 2014 3:35 PM