Dell Crashed - using new mobo, original Dell case and HD RRS feed

• Question

• My Dell motherboard just died and I have replaced it with a ASUS mobo running an AMD X2 processor.  I have kept all other components (had to keep the costs low) and things seem to work up until the moment I boot up.  I can only boot up in same mode, then get an error message that I have to activate the copy of XP I have and need to restart in normal mode.  When I do restart in normal mode, since the HD is still thinking it is using the original Dell mobo, I get a number of errors and basically stops dead (there is a referece that windows has stop executing in order to prevent any damage to computer, etc. etc)  I was wondering if anybody could provide some insights as to how I can get over this step.  I do have a genuine copy of XP (it originally came with the Dell PC).
    Thank you.

Sunday, June 14, 2009 4:10 AM

Answers

• Hello WinXP_DellUser1,

You need to do a repair reinstallation of XP.

Howeverm you will not be able to use the Dell OS Reinstallation CD because it will stop installation when it does not see the special bits that are embedded into Dell motherboards because you no longer have a Dell motherboard.

You will have to acquire a genuine Microsoft hologrammed systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer CD for the edition of XP hat was installed on your Dell.  Use this CD plus the Product Key printed on the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) affixed to the Dell computer to begin XP Setup.  DO NOT use the Product Key that came with the CD.

When setup is complete, DO NOT choose to do an automatic online activation of XP.  Instead, click the Activate Windows link in the Start Menu and follow the prompts to Activate Windows Using the Telephone (aka "telephonic activation).  The activation wizard will generate a many-digit installation ID for you to enter into the automated phone system.  In response, the automated telephone system will give you a many-digit activation ID to enter into the activation wizard.

If the above is rejected, wait on the line and choose the option to speak with a live activation representative.  Explan your circumstances (dead motherboard) and the rep may be able to activate your installation of Windows.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, June 15, 2009 5:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:37 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 2:38 PM