none
Spam Filter marked reply abusive, but looks fine RRS feed

• Question

• The spam filter user flagged the last reply (as of this moment) in this thread as abusive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/a262c264-395c-496e-bf67-513266b9a97c

Looks fine to me. I checked the three links, and they are all relevant Microsoft documentation. The signature (similar to several used in this forum) is a PowerShell statement that translates into the following (when you run it at PowerShell prompt):

@VirtuallyUseful

If that is the problem, how about the signatures used by two of the other participants in the thread, which they have used for many months?

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
    Friday, January 13, 2012 3:20 AM

Answers

• I believe when flag added and removed, only moderators of the forum can see the note and flags. The regular users will not see it. Also, regular users don't see the reason when a post marked as abusive.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:52 AM

All replies

• I noticed many threads marked as abusive by Spam filter which are fine and not abusive. Apparently, the logic is not perfect, but if it catches the real spammers, then false positives are not that big of a deal.

My blog
    Friday, January 13, 2012 4:04 AM
  • Yeah, the spam filter certainly isn't perfect. But for every few false positives we also get legit flags that we continually leverage to keep the system clean from lame posts and spam users. We will probably introduce some 'potential spam' flag or something or make a change so only the admin team sees it. I agree it is a distraction at times (false positives) but it's going to take some time to address.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, January 13, 2012 4:18 AM
    Answerer
  • Yeah, the spam filter certainly isn't perfect. But for every few false positives we also get legit flags that we continually leverage to keep the system clean from lame posts and spam users. We will probably introduce some 'potential spam' flag or something or make a change so only the admin team sees it. I agree it is a distraction at times (false positives) but it's going to take some time to address.
    Community Forums Program Manager

Good. Well the important thing is that we still plan to refine the tool. Thanks Brent!
    Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:23 PM
    Owner
  • Going back to your final question, are you asking about whether the two other signatures are abusive? Are you asking for any specific action?

I noticed a lot of PowerShell scripts. Do they intend to include that in their signatures, or is that some bug (and probably a separate issue than this one)?

Thanks Richard!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:28 PM
    Owner
  • I was wondering if the strange string in the signature might have caused the flag. I doubt it as several other regulars have been using similar signatures for many months. It's a techie thing they like to do, no harm. Frankly I had never checked out what they resolved to until I  saw this thread, just in case it resolved to something inappropriate.

I had not even noticed that the reply was no longer abusive, as Naomi pointed out the red border was cleared. I just saw the note at the bottom and assumed it was still flagged abusive. Now I realize someone probably checked the thread and cleared the flag quickly. I didn't realize the note would remain after it was cleared. I think others would also think it was still flagged abusive. That's my only concern.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 12:04 AM
  • I believe when flag added and removed, only moderators of the forum can see the note and flags. The regular users will not see it. Also, regular users don't see the reason when a post marked as abusive.

My blog
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:52 AM
  • Oh,  I didn't realize that Naomi. That makes sense. It's like only moderators can see deleted replies. Thanks.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:11 AM

My blog

I'm sorry. What are the flags? Is that something separate from the "Report as Abusive"?

Thanks!

Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:58 PM
    Owner
  • Not separate. When you click "Report As Abuse", the flag icon marks the reply as abusive:

Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:16 PM
  • If you click on the Report as Abuse button, that post gets a red border line. The moderators of the forum can see the reason why the post was marked abusive. They can also clear this reason/unmark Abuse  and then the post looks 'normal' (no red border) again. The non-moderator folks can not see the reason and if the abuse was cleared from the post, they will see the post as normal and will not know it was ever marked.

My blog

Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:58 PM

My blog

Yes, that's how it works for me too.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 5:38 AM
    Owner