Can i use Infer.Net in Architectural Project (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• Sumit Prakash Sharma posted on 04-07-2009 5:01 AM

Dear Sir/Madam

Currently I am working on a Architectural Project. This project will generate 10 to 20 or more 2D Plans for Auto Cad using the knowledgebase. My question is that is Infer.Net is good for such type of projects.

User will provide us some basic requirements like plat size, plat facing, no of bedrooms, no of kitchens, Halls, etc. and built up area for plat. And on these basic requirements I want that my project generate different plans.

So please suggest me.

Friday, June 3, 2011 4:50 PM

Answers

• jwinn replied on 04-14-2009 9:05 AM

Hi Sumit,

I'm afraid you will have to be much more precise in defining a probabilistic model that you want to use Infer.NET to solve.  We're here to support Infer.NET users as much as we can, but we do not have the resources to develop entirely new probabilistic models for new applications such as this, on your behalf. I suggest you look at the supplied Infer.NET examples to see what kind of models have been used in other applications and follow John G's advice above to develop an initial model.  We would then be happy to help you solve that model in Infer.NET.

Best wishes,

John W.

All replies

• John Guiver replied on 04-14-2009 3:54 AM

Hi Sumit

There is an almost identical question previously asked on this forum. It is very difficult for us to answer these types of question as we are not familiar with your domain, or how an architectural plan might be represented, or how constraints might be imposed on a plan, or how a plan might be labeled as good or bad. It is possible that Infer.NET might be useful for those aspects of the problem which go beyond the purely physical constraints of the layout - for example inferring whether a plan is aesthetically pleasing, or whether it is functional, but that is pure surmise.

Infer.NET is a framework for defining a probabilistic model and doing inference on that model. To help you decide if you could model your system (or part of your system) probabilistically, think about what unseen variables you want to infer, and what domain they come from (real, real> 0, integer 1 of N, bool, etc). Then look at what data/observations you have (this might include representations of plans and assessments of plans), and see if you can write down how the observed data might be generated by sampling from from the distributions of the unseen variables. If you can do this, then it is possible that Infer.NET will be applicable.

Regards

John G.

• Sumit Prakash Sharma replied on 04-14-2009 5:49 AM

Thank you Sir

Sir i am using ObjectARX and DotNetARX to draw plans in Auto Cad 2006 and i have completed a application (static application) that draw a static plan in Auto Cad after filling the requirement form which is so tedious so i want to develop a dynamic application having some knowledge base and decrease user interactioin.

• jwinn replied on 04-14-2009 9:05 AM

Hi Sumit,

I'm afraid you will have to be much more precise in defining a probabilistic model that you want to use Infer.NET to solve.  We're here to support Infer.NET users as much as we can, but we do not have the resources to develop entirely new probabilistic models for new applications such as this, on your behalf. I suggest you look at the supplied Infer.NET examples to see what kind of models have been used in other applications and follow John G's advice above to develop an initial model.  We would then be happy to help you solve that model in Infer.NET.

Best wishes,

John W.