whs connector i am able to get in but only in folders marked for guest please i need some help!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all i need some help. On my laptop when i go into whs connector i can only open folders marked for guest. I am able to get in to the other folders marked with user access with full with my name from my desktop but not my laptop. i have tried everything even reloaded software on laptop but nothing.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:17 AM

Answers

• Yes i did. I did a new one with the user name i have for my laptop.

Can you try creating a new user (and password) on your laptop, then creating a new user through the Console (with the same username and password as what you just created on the laptop, plus full access to each share, also done through the Console), log off of the laptop, then login to the laptop with the new user you just created and see what happens?  If you don't have access to any shares at that point, please list which shares don't work and the exact error message you get when you try to access them.
    • Proposed as answer by Lara JonesModerator Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Scubadog Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:34 PM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:37 AM

All replies

• Hello all i need some help. On my laptop when i go into whs connector i can only open folders marked for guest. I am able to get in to the other folders marked with user access with full with my name from my desktop but not my laptop. i have tried everything even reloaded software on laptop but nothing.
    By entering folders via the connector, do you mean the shortcut to the shares on the desktop?

Have you created a user account on the Windows Home Server for your laptop login? You need to have an account for each login that accesses the server if you want all your systems to have full access.

Please see the Technical Brief for User Accounts and Shared Folders for more information.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:28 AM
  • In addition to the document Lara has pointed you to, you should also take a look at this post in the FAQ section.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:40 AM
  • I am not able to open shortcut to the shares on the desktop or when i go into whs connector and right click on shared folder and click open. I can only open up the folders that are for guest only. I am able to do everything else like change server password or change what folders each user can see and open. I just can't open folders like the software one because i don't let guest see or open that one.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:55 AM
  • I am not able to open shortcut to the shares on the desktop or when i go into whs connector and right click on shared folder and click open. I can only open up the folders that are for guest only. I am able to do everything else like change server password or change what folders each user can see and open. I just can't open folders like the software one because i don't let guest see or open that one.

Have you setup a user for the laptop in the console? If you have and you are still having this issue, please see the post that Ken linked to.

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:26 AM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:33 AM

Have you tried Ken's FAQ post? Please reply back with the results once you've followed the instructions in the post.
    Windows Home Server

Can you try creating a new user (and password) on your laptop, then creating a new user through the Console (with the same username and password as what you just created on the laptop, plus full access to each share, also done through the Console), log off of the laptop, then login to the laptop with the new user you just created and see what happens?  If you don't have access to any shares at that point, please list which shares don't work and the exact error message you get when you try to access them.
    • Proposed as answer by Lara JonesModerator Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Scubadog Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:34 PM
  • oK kiriya that worked. I had to create a new user name and password. Don't know why it wouldn't use my other one. Thanks all!! Now i have one other question.
    Any one know of a addon software where i can see when a user logons  and what they downloads?
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:06 AM
  • oK kiriya that worked. I had to create a new user name and password. Don't know why it wouldn't use my other one. Thanks all!! Now i have one other question.
    Any one know of a addon software where i can see when a user logons  and what they downloads?

It may not matter now, but the fact that the new one worked means there is something wrong with your old user account (either on the server or on the client).  I would still follow Ken's (and Lara's) advice and follow the FAQ link posted above (if you still need to use the old account).
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:28 AM