What is the log file name for Server Backup To External Drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I'm still trying to unravel the mystery behind my "Element is Missing" message when I attempt to back up the server itself to an external USB attached drive.

Since the error message is basically meaningless, does anyone know the name of the *.log file used to record the "server itself" backup?  Perhaps there is a clue there.

Regards,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi RichLocus,

Sorry for my delay.

As I mentioned in this thread, please navigate to %programdata%\microsoft\windows server\logs folder. Then check server backup logs which the type of the file may be “backup-MMDDYY.log”. Please let me know if some clues that you can find.

By the way, or can find any related clue via Event Viewer?

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Sunday, April 13, 2014 5:35 PM
  • Justin:

Thanks for your input.

I looked at the event viewer and the log files and came up with this error:  volsnap Event ID 36, The shadow copies of volume D were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user-imposed limit.  (I never imposed any limit, so I'm not sure what this message means).

This probably explains why I can only do a System Itself backup to a USB drive for Drive C, and not Drive D.

I have a single 2-TB internal drive on which I took all the defaults and installed WHS 2011.  My external USB drive is also 2 TB.

The partitions for the single internal drive are as follows (again, I only have ONE internal 2-TB drive):

100 MB NTFS with no volume id (hidden)
    Drive C:  60 GB for the Operating System
    Drive D: 1802.92 GB for the Shares and Client backups

OK... the external USB drive is partitioned as follows:

1862.97 GB
    Unallocated: 19MB.

So, I'm not sure what to do to make it happy.  The workaround is to only back up C on the USB, and put up with an event log error every time I boot the server.

When I did try to backup the D drive to the USB external drive, I received the error 2155348300 Windows Backup Failed To Dismount Backup Image.

Thanks,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

• Edited by RichLocus Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:46 PM
    Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:37 PM